Forum Index > Trail Talk > "A Major Snowstorm Will Hit the Region Starting Late Friday"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 4:10 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Shovels do go bad. Most common snow shovels are crap. I switched over to a grain shovel, much stronger, no bending the blade or folding the handle in half.
That grain shovel looks awesome, MtnGoat. The grain shovels (or scoops) I remember were much shorter handled and had a bigger scoop. They would be ungainly and be easy to overload. Whereas the one you have pictured looks to be a good design. I'll have to check them out. I have a reasonably good snow shovel--plastic, but it could easily break. So I have to use it carefully. Thanks, ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 4:22 pm 
glad I could help out. I got so sick of blowing through a shovel every snowstorm I decided to find a better shovel. Now if I could just find a leaf rake worth a damn That reminds me, another option for light, fresh snow...try a leaf blower. If the snow is consolidated at all it won't work, same if it's fresh but big wet flakes. But if you're dealing with an inch or two fresh dry snow, especially on pavement, it's the bees knees.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 4:46 pm 
Power went out Monday evening and came back on today around noon. I'll leave the generator under the deck until enough snow melts that I can wheel it back into the garage. We have also decided to splurge and upgrade our generator to one that has a built-in inverter, electric start and sufficient power so we can periodically run our hot water heater via a single circuit (240 volt, 30amp) transfer switch. The luxury of a hot shower is a strong selling point. And we like the idea of 'clean' power via the inverter not only for the computer gear but for our various big/small appliances that have electronic inards.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 4:57 pm 
We're having a nice blizzardish storm this afternoon. I expect the front door to soon be drifted in. Snow is coming down hard and the wind is blowing hard. I think I've seen this before. This house came with several crappy snow shovels.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 3:27 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Now if I could just find a leaf rake worth a damn
I would submit that the odds of that happening are not in your favor. Keep your eye out for the ACE Hardware sale on their big plastic leaf rake. They usually have a sale on them in the spring for about $10 bucks a pop. I rip up at least two of them every season. I consider them a consumable - like drill bits and TORX bits.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 7:15 am 
I am also using an aluminum grain scoop this year. Ace hardware is awesome Ski. I transport fuel in 5 gallon jugs for use in Chain Saws, Snowmobiles, and 4 wheelers and Ace is the only place I could find a plastic funnel that actually has a built in screen and only 5 bucks for the medium size, (they carry 3 here at the Priest River store). I am amazed that every time I fill up, there is debris in the screen. https://www.google.com/search?q=filfast+funnels&rlz=1CAEXLB_enUS834&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=zTKdqJHIDc_NnM%253A%252CkiL79U3iAiAnFM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kQxf2mo_Jt7k_J8X1Ar3CA2jsrBMw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjX6pCv9r3gAhXIz4MKHST6CqYQ9QEwB3oECAUQEg&biw=1024&bih=474#imgrc=zTKdqJHIDc_NnM:

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 9:01 am 
Speaking of ACE and snow shovels, this shovel is probably one of the best I have ever used for moving lots of snow. We keep one at the ski hut and it is great for digging out after big storms. https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/farm-and-ranch-supplies/farm-equipment/7209307

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 9:47 am 
Ski wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
Now if I could just find a leaf rake worth a damn
I would submit that the odds of that happening are not in your favor. Keep your eye out for the ACE Hardware sale on their big plastic leaf rake. They usually have a sale on them in the spring for about $10 bucks a pop. I rip up at least two of them every season. I consider them a consumable - like drill bits and TORX bits.
You're right about that. I hate going through rakes and I also break about two per season. From....raking. It's ludicrous. A note on the gas can discussion, on Amazon you can get 'water' nozzles to replace the federally mandated fuel spilling nozzles. I retrofitted all my gas cans for 30 bucks and haven't spilled a drop of 'water' since.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 10:27 am 
I don't use a leaky nozzle at all anymore, I just remove it and pour it straight into the Fil Fast funnel, much faster, especially when filling the 10 gallon Sled tanks.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 10:44 am 
treeswarper wrote:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/feb/10/spokanes-favorite-wintertime-sport-hint-snow-in-se/
Spokane's second favorite wintertime sport: threatening plow drivers. https://news.yahoo.com/washington-state-snow-plow-rage-2-plow-drivers-185334263.html

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 11:22 am 
Bad but somewhat understandable, the hardest part of clearing the driveway is the reinforced ice berm at the bottom.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
RichP

RichP
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 12:05 pm 
CC wrote:
Spokane's second favorite wintertime sport: threatening plow drivers. https://news.yahoo.com/washington-state-snow-plow-rage-2-plow-drivers-185334263.html
That's how they roll in the proposed state of Liberty. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/feb/12/a-51st-state-called-liberty-would-have-political-c/

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 12:17 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Many non-studded tires are outperformed by studded tires in all conditions. You can pick examples to support any spin you want to put on it.
The relevant comparison is Blizzak-type soft compound tires vs studded. I gave a link to one test, there are lots more on web. The physics of studs on dry or wet bare pavement is straightforward. For an example close to the limiting case, studs on a rigid surface, next time you are on a summer scramble take microspikes. When you have to ascend or descend a fairly steep smooth rock slab, try it in microspikes. Of course in the case of sudded tires there is some indentation, that's how they cause the road damage. But there is a definite decrease in traction.
Schenk wrote:
Ruts? Roads wear out, get over it. They don't last forever and big trucks on hot pavement make deeper ruts than studs in winter.
That's a problematic statement. But in any case, the ruts caused by heavy trucks are different. Those ruts are due to compression of the pavement, the rut surface is smooth. Studded-tire ruts are due to chipping away of pavement and are rough. Next time you are on a main highway that hasn't been repaved in a couple years try driving in the usual track of the lane, then driving to the side and notice the change in noise level. The increased noise in the usual track is the sound of the studded-tire ruts eating your tires.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 12:25 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
My take is of course in favor of letting people choose for their circumstances. Some, of course, can't deal with that.
There was nothing in my post about limiting choices. I just pointed out that studded tires were a statistically illogical choice.
MtnGoat wrote:
Roads are to be used, they require maintenance continually, and the cost of doing so is just the cost of having a road system. They'd last even longer and be cheaper if no one was allowed to drive on them. The goal of a road is not avoiding costs and maintenance, it is to drive on and use.
By that logic then the restrictions on weight/axle and weight/tire-width should be eliminated. When your laissez-faire eden finally comes to pass, and the major highways are privately-owned toll roads, do you expect that the owners will charge studded tires users the same rates as non-studded users?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 12:50 pm 
I'd argue statistical use is not necessarily a good fit for individual cases, since an individual is an expert on their own situation. What is statistically illogical for a west sider who may see little road ice in any given year, is not illogical for an east sider who may drive on it consistently throughout the winter. My local road has now been iced for 2.5 weeks in this latest round alone, for example. Yes, different rates would apply to different users most likely, though it is hard to predict what price/convenience points a resource owner would decide to choose. If we follow your logic, then of course there are other factors..if the pricing is based on user choices alone, my higher fee for studded tires would be offset by not paying fees for ferries or bike lanes never used. Given the costs for those things vs the cost of studs, I'm pretty sure I'd save money overall.