Forum Index > Trail Talk > "A Major Snowstorm Will Hit the Region Starting Late Friday"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 1:32 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Why water?
Looking at the photo it's not just any water, but French sounding fuzzy scented water!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 1:32 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Why water?
Well, where are people going to find water with all this snow around? As for food, I recon most folks around here could go a few weeks without eating, if they had to. But in today's extremely safe world, I suppose there's some primal satisfaction to be found in manufactured crisis. Anyway, I went to PCC last night to stock up on ice cream, the one thing you definitely don't want to run out of, and it was slightly busier than usual, but not that bad.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 1:51 pm 
Redmond report. Fred Meyer this morning. Busiest I have ever seen it. Basically no milk/eggs/bread. There was a bread delivery guy there with a multi-shelf wheeled cart. People were getting bread from him before he could stock the shelves. He said he could have sold his whole truckload to the Redmond CostCo. Mainly out of curiosity I stopped by the large QFC store. Place was mobbed. Loooonnnnggg checkout lines. No milk/bread. They did have normal eggs. Tip I stopped by the Avondale Market on my way home. This store has been there forever. It's the kind of place that sells a lot of beer, cigs and lotto tickets. Plenty of milk in the case. Bought some 2%. If you stop in, say 'hi' to my friend Stan behind the counter.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 1:59 pm 
I'm thinking it is a byproduct of information overload in this day and age. Never recall this kind of frenzy 5-10 years ago.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 2:01 pm 
Tom wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
Funny how Seatteites typically wipe out grocery store shelves just prior to a snow forecast, they act like they will be housebound for 2 weeks, when it's almost always a day or two and the snow's pretty much melted. Whako's!
Last night was completely nuts. Milk and water aisles almost barren. Long lines down every aisle to check out. Costco, Safeway, Fred Meyer. Didn't matter
Fred Meyer Self Checkout at 8 PM
Fred Meyer Self Checkout at 8 PM
Glad I'm not having to deal with that anymore, I worked in retail for 30 years, so it was pretty annoying have to deal with the snow events. But of course for days after it would be pretty slow since everyone was stocked up. We went to Newport, Wa. yesterday shopping, we are expecting snow and it was super slow. Main thing is to not run out of beer. We have a little store-bar about a mile away I can snowmobile to for supplies. Winning, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 2:10 pm 
The snow has started to fly here. God help us all!

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 2:29 pm 
I'm not too worried about the snow. We have 5 ice axes, 3 crampons, microspikes, Costco spikes, four point crampons, snowshoes, skis, 3 season tents, camper, four wheel drive truck, freeze-dried food, down jackets, mountain parkas, sleeping bags, pads, glacier glasses, propane, butane, barbecue, goretex climbing boots, and much, much more if we can only get into the cellar door. We've taken climbing classes and spent the night in cold tents. Been stocking up for years, preparing for this day. Also we have cell phones, as backup for all of the above.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 2:44 pm 
Tom wrote:
The snow has started to fly here. God help us all!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 2:44 pm 
4"+ so far where I work in Spokane Valley, unofficial measurement. Everyone in the area I have spoken with has had that much, or more. That 4" fell BEFORE they revised the forecast to predict only 2-3 inches today. Apparently they forgot to look outside before they posted that update...hahahaha

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 3:12 pm 
A quarter inch here. The sun tried to make an appearance. I went to the place that I simply must go to before such an emergency--the Library and got a couple of books to read. I also keep a stash of books bought at flea markets and sales for any super emergency. Yes, I am a bookaholic. We have just enough new snow to cover the ice puddles so it is best to walk in the road and not on the shoulder on the way to the library. Went to Safeway yesterday. It was maybe a little less crowded than usual. Maybe money can be made in future "events" by hauling a truckload of bread and eggs over the pass to sell by the roadside at high prices? Kinda like those people who sell oranges and onions out of their cars.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 3:23 pm 
It's snowpacadoommageddon out there! Working from home is real nice.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 3:27 pm 
Tom wrote:
I'm thinking it is a byproduct of information overload in this day and age. Never recall this kind of frenzy 5-10 years ago.
Yup. I think the media and weather stations got hammered by the public in 2008 when they didn't sufficiently freak us out and it left a lot of people without avocados for their toast. So now they saturate us with it. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. So might as well do, and get advertising revenue. Plus, we've turned into a bunch of weanies, not able to withstand a bit of discomfort or inconvenience here and there. We expect to have everything as we want it at all times to the point of badgering bus drivers whose buses are stuck in the snow, or haranguing the City because our recycling wasn't picked up on Monday and o my gawd, what do I do with this bag of trash. Jeezus, people - chill. As a co-worker mumbled after seeing half of downtown stampeding toward the bus stop awhile ago, "people are loosing their sh## over this."

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 3:42 pm 
Well, it seems to have caught on here. It isn't even snowing now and they are letting school out early and cancelling events like crazy. I am wondering if our concert will go on tomorrow? I can trudge there and back. Will put backpack straps on fiddle case. Can ski down the hill if need be. biggrin.gif Just look at how horrible the road is... clown.gif Turrible Road By All The Fast Food Places and Taco Wagon

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 3:45 pm 
Went over top of Squak today again. Sunny when we left started snowing hard as we got off Summit Trail at home about 2” new in the last hour or so. Good Times hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 3:53 pm 
The situation here in the city would be funny if it weren't so pathetic. The media hype doesn't help: Seattle snowstorm ‘once every decade or two' occurrence huh.gif Check out the photos. Went to Freddy's at 4 pm yesterday to pick up a couple staples and the parking lot was a mob scene, so I left. Returned at 11 am today, more of the same. As bad or worse at the Ballard Market. One of the clerks told me there was a line at the door when they opened at 5 am today. Good thing there wasn't a run on the organic beets - yet! Time to dig out my borscht recipe, great winter comfort food. Got my new $12 Goodwill snow shovel at the ready. Enjoy, folks!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood