Forum Index > Trail Talk > "A Major Snowstorm Will Hit the Region Starting Late Friday"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 1:32 pm 
CC wrote:
Spokane's second favorite wintertime sport: threatening plow drivers.
rotf.gif rotf.gif Yeah, we just don't have the creativity and talent for assault that Seattle has: http://mynorthwest.com/1270747/seattle-driver-arrested-in-snowball-road-rage-incident/ loggermoon.gif

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 2:38 pm 
I thought weed was supposed to mellow you out...

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 3:18 pm 
George Johnson wrote:
Lol, some does, some doesn't, plus it depends upon the person, their mood, and maybe how much caffeine they have consumed, etc.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 3:46 pm 
CC wrote:
The relevant comparison is Blizzak-type soft compound tires vs studded.
You claimed non-studded tires have superior wet traction and are less likely to hydroplane than studded tires. I claimed that you could pick tires that will support either side of the issue. You cherry picked your example. Please explain why is this the only relevant comparison? Not everyone can, or will choose, to afford expensive top of the line studless tires.
CC wrote:
But in any case, the ruts caused by heavy trucks are different. Those ruts are due to compression of the pavement, the rut surface is smooth. Studded-tire ruts are due to chipping away of pavement and are rough. Next time you are on a main highway that hasn't been repaved in a couple years try driving in the usual track of the lane, then driving to the side and notice the change in noise level. The increased noise in the usual track is the sound of the studded-tire ruts eating your tires.
Grooves are grooves, smooth or rough. it doesn't matter when it rains. Ruts on concrete are always rougher than on asphalt...concrete is made up of little stones and sand, it tends to break away at that level. Trucks make deeper ruts than studs, and more of them, everywhere. Big tuck tires break up concrete quite effectively. Asphalt wears differently. On some roads you can see "waves" where the asphalt has been squished away by big trucks, not studs. I am certain Seattle is not immune...but they do have cooler Summers so maybe truck ruts aren't as bad. I lived on the West Side back in the 80 and early 90s and I remember seeing 4 distinct ruts in the lanes of all the major roads when it rained.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 4:23 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
George Johnson wrote:
Lol, some does, some doesn't, plus it depends upon the person, their mood, and maybe how much caffeine they have consumed, etc.
If the driver was, in fact, high on (just) pot, I'm astounded. I've never seen anyone who was stoned get belligerent, and I have over 60 years of observation experience, including as a musician in the 60s and 70s.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep