Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > David Moskowitz, "The Caribou Rainforest"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostWed Feb 13, 2019 8:34 am 
The Mountaineers last night hosted David Moskowitz with regard to his new book, "The Caribou Rainforest" published by Braided River and he was about the best speaker I've seen on similar environmental topics. What made his presentation so good was that he spoke as if in conversation rather than from a script. His passion and concern for a subject he's spent four years researching in the field about was more than obvious. His photography is also terrific. If you get a chance to see him, or buy the book, definitely do so. https://caribourainforest.org The obvious concerns about loss of habitat and human encroachment apparently play out in a different way for these elusive creatures. Logging in the interior BC homeland of the Caribou apparently results in a change of habitat which encourages Deer and Elk to move into these areas where they have never been (since the last ice age). That in turn brings predators like Wolves and Mountain Lions in to follow the prey species. Since the Caribou have never before feared predators they have no flight response and are now at risk in recently cleared areas.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 8:16 am 
What about the areas that burn? That's what forests do if not "logged". Forests are not forever, depending upon the number of years you consider forever to be. BC was burning up pretty good last year, and the year before...

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 8:09 am 
treeswarper wrote:
What about the areas that burn? That's what forests do if not "logged". Forests are not forever, depending upon the number of years you consider forever to be. BC was burning up pretty good last year, and the year before...
You are right to think that man's influence on the climate is significant and that because of that BC is having a dramatic increase in forest fires as the BC Wildfire Service has stated many times in their blog and press releases. But the area of the Caribou rain forest is a rain forest and a quick glance will show you that this is not the area where the most fires have been in the past two years. The largest fires have been immediately north of Prince George and also near far northern BC a bit east of the Coast Range (downslope area). That latter is where the two very large fires were last summer.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in the northwest, the Alkali Lake and South Stikine River fires met overnight, with the combined blaze now ranging over 300 square kilometres, and the weather forecast doesn't look promising for the efforts to get it under control. Fire information officer Heather Rice said Wednesday that the merge itself isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Mokowitz in his lecture said that he had a friend who had a government study to look specifically at areas of the Caribou rainforest where trees were 80 years old +- and basically after a year of study found essentially no such areas. It's all old growth. In his images and presentation you will see a prominence of Red Cedar - just look at the images, I am sure you already have and just forgot that detail. The area of the Caribou Rain forest is not boreal forest. I even spent a winter working in the Monashees/Northern Selkirks.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 9:01 am 
I don't even know what the old growth definition is anymore. It seems to magically decline. Red Cedar burns. All forests will burn. But I think we've told you that before. Game over.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 9:11 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I don't even know what the old growth definition is anymore. It seems to magically decline. Red Cedar burns. All forests will burn. But I think we've told you that before. Game over.
Who's is we? Is that an expert like Gabbert at Wildfire Today https://wildfiretoday.com or someone less knowledgeable? Personally, I listen to the real experts like Gabbert and those at the BC Wildfire Service and via Inciweb and Calfire.