Forum Index > Trip Reports > Excelsior Peak (USGS Bearpaw) 2/10/19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 12:54 am 
Date: 2/10/19 Destination: Excelsior Peak 5712 (USGS Bearpaw) Party: Matt, Carla, Steph, Elle Two years ago on Excelsior, we had bright blue skies, brilliant white trees, and wide views on top. Today was more of a black and white trip, with clouds and snow moving in by the time we emerged from the forest. It's been a strange weather week. Departing my house in Shoreline there was a foot of snow on the ground. When we picked up Steph in Bellingham, the ground was bare. Hiking up there Excelsior trail, there was only a few inches for the first couple thousand feet. Circa 3800 feet the snow depth started increasing quickly. Fortunately, a large group from BC had plowed the trail ahead of us. In a few places, their trench was almost hip deep. Higher up, it was more wind-packed.
Snowshoe trench
Snowshoe trench
Summit blown almost bare
Summit blown almost bare
Bright jackets of snowshoers provided the only color on the summit. The Canadian group said they had driven from Vancouver to the trailhead in just 1.5 hours.
Colorful Canadians
Colorful Canadians
Color printer cartridge on the summit – Magenta, Cyan & Yellow (aka Steph, Carla, and Elle)
Color printer cartridge on the summit – Magenta, Cyan & Yellow (aka Steph, Carla, and Elle)
My new red-and-black gloves to match the rest of my outfit
My new red-and-black gloves to match the rest of my outfit
Snow began falling as we descended. At least the soft cushiony snow let us bypass several hundred feet of switchbacks on the way down.
Izzy watching hikers descending
Next snowfall beginning.
Next snowfall beginning.
Someone's happy today.
Someone's happy today.
Excelsior GPS track
Excelsior GPS track
Temperatures for the day: 17 degrees at my house, 16 degrees at the trailhead, 18 degrees on the summit. Stats: 8.7 miles, 3870 gain , 6:25 hours. The drive home became almost too interesting as we encountered increasingly heavy snow on the highway. I-5 in Snohomish County felt more like driving over a mountain pass than driving through coastal lowlands. Back at home, I found the neighbors having a party outside in the snow, with sledding, hot beverages, and a fire pit.
Neighbors having a party in the snow
Neighbors having a party in the snow
Snowing again at my house.
Snowing again at my house.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 6:21 am 
I like the B&Ws; they bring out the texture of snow on the trees quite nicely. The "Izzy watching hikers descending" shot is my favorite, because of Izzy's windswept B&W tail and neck fur, which complements the snowy trees. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 4:28 pm 
Matt wrote:
I love this photo. The people are so tiny and Izzy gives the image a perspective and depth. Very nice. ~z Edit: Oh, I posted without having seen GaliWalker's comment. haha Great minds think alike. wink.gif