Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking garage and hotel at Stevens Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Feb 20, 2019 6:30 am 
CC wrote:
So much. I realize that it's very unusual for you to know less about something than someone else, but I'm afraid that in this case it's true. I live at Yodelin.
So you must be the one that has that Toyota pickup always parked at the old lodge?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Feb 20, 2019 4:39 pm 
CC wrote:
Also, the probability that it would "rain all week" at Stevens Pass during prime ski season is negligible. See footnote in NWAC weather forecast re eastern flow and snow level. Our snowpack doesn't peak until late March.
Apparently you've never experienced "Junuary" here in the PNWet. Or freezing rain events at Steven's and Snoqualmie that deposit over a 1/4 inch of ice.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 20, 2019 4:45 pm 
Junuary is not in prime ski season.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostWed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 pm 
Sky Hiker wrote:
So you must be the one that has that Toyota pickup always parked at the old lodge?
No

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 7:32 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Junuary is not in prime ski season.
Exactly. Locations that are financially successful as "destination ski resorts" have reliable snow conditions for xmas and new years weeks.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 10:15 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Exactly. Locations that are financially successful as "destination ski resorts" have reliable snow conditions for xmas and new years weeks.
Since Junuary is in June, and six months out of phase with prime ski season, using conditions then as a metric for Xmas and New Years doesn't make much sense.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 3:17 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Since Junuary is in June, and six months out of phase with prime ski season, using conditions then as a metric for Xmas and New Years doesn't make much sense.
Your response indicates that you don't have the same understanding of "Junuary" as I. I mean it to be a warm and wet January with rain and little new snow.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 5:33 pm 
About 2.5 years ago, I met one of the people who report the Vail Corp CEO while hiking in Utah. We talked for an hour or so. They'd just bought whistler, and he told me that their next move would be to buy something close to Seattle - what he called a "feeder resort" that they like to have near their "destination resorts" like Whistler. He predicted it would end up being Stevens based on the recent discussions. So they aren't thinking they'll somehow turn it into a Whistler/like destination resort. They're quite content to have it be the on ramp to lure people from around here into one of their Epic Pass tiers. I asked if they'd want to develop lodging at the base and he said yes they do that at all the feeder resorts. So I think they're well aware of what Randy mentions (ie they're being realistic) and yet they still see lodging investment as having a decent return. So I'd be quite surprised if they didn't take advantage of this bit of non forest service land that they got in the deal. They need more parking and they want to develop lodging, per a Vail SLT member who was right about what else he predicted for me.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 7:58 pm 
Overnight accommodations is debatable, but stevens DEFINITELY needs more parking. And a 2 lane US2 for that matter.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 8:09 pm 
2 lane highway 2 is not going to happen your not going to move the river or the railroad tracks. You can have a 2 lane US2 on the east side. 2 is at its skier limit as it is meaning too much traffic for its restricted size.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 5:49 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
2 lane highway 2 is not going to happen your not going to move the river or the railroad tracks. You can have 2 lane 2 on east side. 2 is at its skier limit as it is.
Whistler seems to book up using a 2 lane highway. But they have a gondola to take you to decently high elevations and plenty over terrain above that. And people books weeks at Whistler not just weekends.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 8:16 am 
Ya, one drive supports an entire ski vacation for most folks at whistler. Plus the times are more staggered for overnights. Everyone hits US2 at the exact same time. Busses?

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 8:55 am 
I don't downhill and have never XC skied in Cascade concrete, but I'd guess their plan is more expansive, ie, to turn Stevens into an all-season destination like Whistler - you know, lifts operating 12 months a year, tons of hipster shops and pubs, mountain urbanization is the trend. Yippee! huh.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 9:36 am 
thunderhead wrote:
Overnight accommodations is debatable, but stevens DEFINITELY needs more parking. And a 2 lane US2 for that matter.
I don't agree. When the parking is full there are already too many people at the resort. I suspect they will ultimately try to expand the resort area in the direction of Yodelin across Big Chief Mtn. That's been discussed for years.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 11:17 am 
The West side of Stevens is already a zoo traffic wise. Expanding the parking lot even more would make it even worse unless something is done from Zekes west which I doubt will happen. Just like happens in Leavenworth unless a bypass is made its not going to get better. But that has already been discussed by the Highway 2 safety coalition. People just drive too fast only to sit in traffic and gain no time. Just yesterday I watched two knuckle heads doing road rage near Index. Good to see that WSP making a prescense.