Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking garage and hotel at Stevens Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 4:19 pm 
Jeff wrote:
Highway 2 bypassed some of them, but then the towns built out along the the highway instead of away from it.
The only bypass that's ever been built on Hiway 2 was around Snohomish in 1987. There's been a planned bypass around Monroe since the 1960's and the land is there but the budget never has been. 522 is a bigger priority.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 4:43 pm 
Back in the day each little town had its own police dept and the word was tourist trap or speed trap. The town's used to generate income on people driving above the speed limit. Now some of the town's contract out for their law enforcement to the county. The county cops rarely enforce the speed limit in there town's. For example the king county cop for Sky can be found most times hanging out at the fire dept. Thus people drive way above the posted speed limit. At the Sky exit the speed limit is 50 mph which is what the road was designed for yet people might slow from 70 to 60ish. It's probably very costly to design and build any kind of bypass. Time to look forward to the Shindig, Gold dust days & the fair. Well At least the weather should be nice.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 4:57 pm 
The last bypass for monroe was to go behind Wal-Mart, Safeway and the old Albertsons and rejoin 2 on the east side of woods creek. But that never materialized

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 6:42 pm 
Jeff wrote:
Take a look at the map and you'll see that 2 does largely bypass Monroe on the edge of the town. Then Monroe built near 2 because that is where the traffic was going.
It took a while to spread there because Highway 2 through Monroe was built in 1926. The former thoroughfare was the Snohomish-Monroe Road which followed 1st Street out of Snohomish and wound along Lords Hill before becoming Main Street in Monroe. The development including Fred Meyer and Lowes was planned with the future bypass going North of the fairgrounds in mind. It just never materialized.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 8:25 pm 
Jeff wrote:
There is even a roundabout now! Great in theory, but not for Washington drivers.
Efficiently progressing through a roundabout depends on merging skills. Since Washington drivers have no clue how to "zipper merge" and worse seem ideologically opposed to the idea it will be a while before stunningly bad behavior at roundabouts becomes less common. I was amazed the other day in a roundabout observing a driver come to a full stop in the roundabout because another vehicle was approaching the roundabout -- they really had no clue aboute roundabout right of way rules. But even so roundabouts are more efficient that a four way stop with Washington drivers -- where huge delays can occur while people play "no you go"

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 8:59 pm 
Try the roundabout on main Street you will see people stop and some blow right thru without even looking.

kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 10:02 pm 
joker wrote:
About 2.5 years ago, I met one of the people who report the Vail Corp CEO while hiking in Utah. We talked for an hour or so. They'd just bought whistler, and he told me that their next move would be to buy something close to Seattle - what he called a "feeder resort" that they like to have near their "destination resorts" like Whistler. He predicted it would end up being Stevens based on the recent discussions. So they aren't thinking they'll somehow turn it into a Whistler/like destination resort. They're quite content to have it be the on ramp to lure people from around here into one of their Epic Pass tiers.
Yeah, it's quite a coup, really. They don't need to do a thing to Stevens to come out way ahead on this deal. This gets them millions of potential new customers for the Epic Pass. That's the real prize. The combo of Whistler and Stevens is brilliant (for them, and for many skiers that want to any those places).

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 10:47 pm 
Agreed with some of the above. Seattle area drivers are amongst the worse on earth AND the towns along US2 west of stevens have butchered that road through shear incompetence. Bad combination.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 11:18 pm 
There was a line at the cashier at the 76 in Gold Bar once. Guy with no shirt on grabs himself a Slim Jim, firmly slams down couple'uh quarters on the counter, and shouts "I AINT WAITIN' IN LINE FOR THIS S***!!"

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 5:45 am 
Did you tell him to get back in line and wait like the rest of us, and no shirt no service?

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 4:33 am 
Sidenote... Tonight the Lake Stevens Fire Dept. is holding the 1st of several public meetings to discuss the merger of Lake Stevens Fire with Monroe Fire. No common boundaries! Good grief. Tom

Vertec

Vertec
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 6:56 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Jeff wrote:
There is even a roundabout now! Great in theory, but not for Washington drivers.
Efficiently progressing through a roundabout depends on merging skills. Since Washington drivers have no clue how to "zipper merge" and worse seem ideologically opposed to the idea it will be a while before stunningly bad behavior at roundabouts becomes less common. I was amazed the other day in a roundabout observing a driver come to a full stop in the roundabout because another vehicle was approaching the roundabout -- they really had no clue aboute roundabout right of way rules. But even so roundabouts are more efficient that a four way stop with Washington drivers -- where huge delays can occur while people play "no you go"
In Washington, roundabouts contain exactly four four-way stops. One for each "merge point" within the roundabout. I've even watched two drivers just stare at each other while neither would move (playing "no you go") - I just passed the both by going the wrong way around the roundabout (no one else was around), so they can be fun sometimes dizzy.gif

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Vertec

Vertec
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 7:02 am 
CC wrote:
Again: the master plan only pertains to portion of resort that is on FS property. The Yodelin site is private property, subject only to Chelan County zoning and building codes.
Yup, Agree. I was just posting a reference to what the future plans are for within the resort. If Vail proceeds to "build out" the entire plan a hotel makes more sense IMHO. I'm also glad Vail is "in the game" at Stevens. Me thinks they won't put up with the crap that gets pulled every time Stevens moves forward on building out what is in the plan. The covfefe that was pulled to delay the bike park was not acceptable. Vail won't put up with that.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 9:29 am 
Vertec wrote:
In Washington, roundabouts contain exactly four four-way stops
I don't think that is precisely correct. Roundabouts I've encountered has "Yield" signs on the feeders, not "Stop" signs.

skiorkayak

skiorkayak
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 9:05 pm 
He's not saying they are 4 way stops, he is saying they are treated like 4 way stops. He is absolutely correct, I see it almost every time I approach a round a bout.