Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking garage and hotel at Stevens Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Mar 13, 2019 5:15 am 
too many skiers as it is

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 am 
Okay, now who can tell me about the idea of a parking garage at Crystal? I'm sure everyone knows about what's been going on at Crystal. I'm seeing a lot of social media comments that are clamoring for Crystal to build the parking garage that was supposedly approved in a master plan. I'm a skier but would hate to see a parking garage in that valley, especially considering Crystal has been in trouble for years for polluting Silver creek from stormwater runoff off their parking lots.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 10:00 am 
that there downfall vid is pure gold. nice work it's curious that with such demand they don't just get the permits and grind out some more parking acreage.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 10:52 am 
kiliki wrote:
I'm a skier but would hate to see a parking garage in that valley, especially considering Crystal has been in trouble for years for polluting Silver creek from stormwater runoff off their parking lots.
I would think it would be more possible to manage the runoff from cars from a garage than from dirt lots (and a lot of the crap cars drip would probably just stay on the covered floors anyway).

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 2:04 pm 
Crystal Mountain changing ticket policy to relieve overcrowding
Quote:
Starting January 18, the resort will stop selling walk-up full day tickets on weekends and holidays. They will only offer a limited amount of advance tickets online for weekends and holidays. ... the popularity of the Ikon Pass may have been one of the biggest causes of overcrowding. The Altera Mountain Company bought Crystal Mountain in 2018, adding it to the Ikon Pass that can be used at 41 ski resorts worldwide.

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:12 am 
That's getting to be the case with most ski areas these days

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 9:52 am 
joker wrote:
I would think it would be more possible to manage the runoff from cars from a garage than from dirt lots (and a lot of the crap cars drip would probably just stay on the covered floors anyway).
I'm not a stormwater expert, but hard surfaces are generally seen as worse than permeable in terms of runoff. Maybe you can collect the run off, but you would still have to do something with it. I also hate the aesthetics of having a parking garage in that valley. There are still good hikes around there. This is public land. I ski Crystal but I don't want the valley developed to the max for a corporations profit. I am somewhat reassured by their statements that as they figure out solutions, they're thinking of skier experience, meaning, they realize that if you provide parking for a ton more people you're just shifting the problem from no parking to long lift lines.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 11:44 pm 
But in a covered garage how much of the droppings will even run off? Abby garage drains would presumably need to go into a drain field of some sort. I don't know the extent to which they can capture things like oil there but at any rate I don't think they'd be allowed to just straightline the drains into the creek.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 11:47 pm 
Your aesthetics point is another matter. Crystal could conceivably expand terrain. I don't love that idea either but otoh not much new ski terrain has been created in a period of massive regional growth. I predict the alternative, keeping "supply" of skiing constant while demand continues increasing its going to turn the sport into a much more economically elite activity then its ever been. Basic microeconomics...

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 12:04 am 
At Crystal it was a major loss when they built the lifts accessing the former North Backcoutry which used to require a ridge travers and shuttle ride back. You got a real sense of adventure and real POW POW. Now it is just another tracked out run. Hope they do not do the same to SBC.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 3:07 am 
Gonna have to get more guys drivin' big trucks, no carpooling. All solo in trucks. So less individuals will be able to access the mountain via the parking garage. Look if you want to rip the runs the competition starts prior to the mountain. It takes a plan and strategy. Executed well!!! I think organizing large masses of skiers to collectively agree to all drive individual cars -and preferably large cars - is the type thing that's needed here.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 8:09 am 
joker wrote:
But in a covered garage how much of the droppings will even run off? Abby garage drains would presumably need to go into a drain field of some sort. I don't know the extent to which they can capture things like oil there but at any rate I don't think they'd be allowed to just straightline the drains into the creek.
Retention and filtration is usually built into the structure these days. If you're familiar with the Costco in Woodinville - the entire parking lot is built on top of a sectioned reservoir with filtration to capture all runoff and protect Bear Creek. I'd agree that a multi-level parking garage would improve impact of runoff compared to the giant hard gravel parking lots.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 8:42 am 
You really shouldn't be up at Stevens if you are truly concerned about climate change. Instead, you should be pushing for reforestation of the parking lots and any ski runs that were cut out. After all, human made ski runs are deforestation. If you must ski, and are one who laments about the world climate, you should at least carpool or take public transportation. If you hate evil corporations, it's even simpler, don't ski there. Just a reminder, for those who are concerned about the environment and climate change, or pretend they are. Otherwise, you are just a member of the Something Must Be Done, But By Somebody Else group. To me, it's kind of like the salmon "crisis". We must take down the dams on the Snake River before we stop all salmon fishing. Yeah, right. You are the problem.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 9:17 am 
Who wants to do the maths for carbon offset of plowing snow vrs the concrete and steel needed to make a parking garage? wink.gif I did not buy a season pass this year either. First time in 12 years. I would buy a season pass for a parking spot if I could park overnight. Imagine the emissions savings of letting the ski bums sleep in their cars. I did see a lot for sale at yodelin for 80g. Thought about buying in for parking privileges.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 9:29 am 
Perhaps the best solution is the one they use in Switzerland - build the parking in a less sensitive area down the highway and bus everyone up.