Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking garage and hotel at Stevens Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 1:57 pm 
Seriously. I'm telling you. Bigger cars, single occupancy. Right now 400 parking spots can yield 1600 people. With big enough vehicles i bet you can get that down to 300 parking spots, yielding 300 people.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 2:09 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
because it's wrong. Claiming 'no fees' and 'no mandate' as a benefit is an argument which intentionally evades the reasons for opposing both things. Mandating increased costs is the same end result and method as imposing taxes to raise costs.
You're old and likely to be dead in a decade or so. Some of us have more time here and we dont want to live in a globally warmed inferno so you have less costs...

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 2:37 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
You're old and likely to be dead in a decade or so. Some of us have more time here and we dont want to live in a globally warmed inferno so you have less costs...
there's zero danger of an inferno of temps which were already experienced by humanity anyway...and you're now introducing a second banned topic. I keep wondering how long the one topic could continue since I didn't introduce it, and now I'll find out with a second one (the newly defined Voldemort topic of NWH.) How people centered and caring of you to use arguments on the idea that opposition will die off, rather than centering on the truth of the contention itself. But of course, there's a problem with that approach as well, so might as argue other posters will die off. When I violate the newly malformed TOS I get slapped within hours, if not minutes. Why is this thread still operational. Thread lockdown for poster misbehavior is not being imposed consistently and symmetrically.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 2:43 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
The bike plan does have a map showing the extent of their permit terrain. Looks like they have a good chunk on the north side of the highway.
I keep reading 'skyline' in the comments...does this mean they want to develop the area literally near the lake, or does this refer to the 'skyline' lift already there?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 3:37 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
Wayback machine seems to have a good link to 2007 documents to it.
up.gif that's it

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 3:39 pm 

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 3:41 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I keep reading 'skyline' in the comments...does this mean they want to develop the area literally near the lake, or does this refer to the 'skyline' life already there?
They're referring to the Skyline lift and developing toward Grace Lakes

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 3:51 pm 
An underground parking structure is the way to go. As long as we're dreaming.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 9:34 am 
I know!!! An elevator shaft down to the rail tunnel! Then all the hipsters can commute on sound transit 4 while drinking lattes! And if you approve this funding now, it will be complete in time for the 2062 ski season!! Go!!!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 9:42 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Ignore the claims of 'trolling', it is a self serving, ill defined nothing of a claim really meaning merely that you post things others choose to disagree with.
Let me offer the previously implicit definition then. Someone whose contributions to this thread consist entirely of attempts to personally attack others here, via known hot-button topics whose prior discussion on the site have been relegated almost entirely to the Stewardship thread due to their hot button nature (hot button topics, I should add, that could be brought up here w/o the repeated attempts to use them as cudgels to try to personally tar other community members - that's not low or zero value contribution; it's negative). Perhaps you find such interaction here constructive; I don't. I've seen the poster in question offer very good and constructive comments in many other threads. This one; not so much. The suggestion of suicide is indeed the capstone of her efforts here.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 9:43 am 
Thanks for digging up the master plan link. I spoke to someone just yesterday who claimed to have heard recently from a reliable source that the expansion over toward Big Chief was the next planned step but she didn't know how soon that should be expected.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 10:12 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Wait. A gravel lot would need to be plowed. And in winter, the runoff wouldn't percolate, it would just sit there. Now what?!
Yesterday at Stevens, we parked in one of the lots you can see on one of the WSDOT webcams (which showed the lot as gleaming white yesterday morning). We were parked on/above packed snow with a little fresh snow atop it. As of this morning, the webcam shows those lots as dark (ie dirt) with some stuff that looks like slush marbled in. I haven't looked at where all the meltwater runoff goes to from those lots - perhaps into the snowbanks, to melt somewhat more slowly later in the season but with a bit of a "plume" of oily stuff flowing out at that point, or perhaps down to where the access road to the lots meets the highway.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 11:15 am 
Since we're just talking at this point, and people have mentioned the idea of parking lots down the mountain with a shuttle. Methow Trails runs a shuttle from Winthrop to Twisp every winter, for XC skiers who want to cross the valley. There are a few stops along the way, final one is the trailhead at the Mazama store, they carry your skis, you ride with a bunch of other skiers, and then you can ski back to your car. It's a well loved program. If you're social, you can show up 15 minutes early and chat with a lot of people you have something in common with. It works very well.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 11:22 am 
The concern about oil plumes from the parking lot is hilarious. Older vehicles that leak/burn oil do the bulk of their leaking when the motor is running and especially when climbing a hill. The oil drips and unburned oil fumes emitted along the length of the highway are a vastly greater amount of pollution than the little bits that drip in the parking lot. The difference is most people don't walk the highway to observe the sheen of oil on the highway surface.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 12:26 pm 
To be clear, I don't have a significant concern there but since it was brought up as an argument against garages I think it was good to have the discussion in which Schroder clarified that indeed modern garage construction would be better than gravel lots on that front. I also think the carbon capture loss of expanding parking at these areas is similarly silly as a concern given the acreage in question and the vastly greater comparative losses of treed acreage in our region from an assortment of other causes.