Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking garage and hotel at Stevens Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 11:00 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Then its probably the maps' fault. It usually is. Need to get certain locales removed from the maps.
Yeah sure ya betcha, those school bus drivers bringing bus loads of elementary and middle school students by the thousands to Snoqualmie Pass ski areas in the 60s and 70s could have never left the Seattle suburbs without USGS topographic maps.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:00 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Standing in a queue for 30+ minutes per chair lift ride is why I started ski touring back in 1971 when my 13 yo self realized I could hike to the top of the lift more quickly than waiting in the lift line.
That's why they came up with high-speed quads. Even on peak days at Stevens I've not waited in line longer than 5 minutes other than first run in the morning waiting for the chair to get started. Have you skied at Stevens in the last 30 years?

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:01 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Free parking with a two drink minimum will be the new model.
With all that lift loading data they collect (And they are clearly prioritizing this data collection over customer experience for those loading the lifts - e.g. at Stevens and to a fair extent at Snoqualmie they don't teach the lift line attendants to put any priority on getting people to fill chairs when decent sized lines have formed; no, the attendants just keep on scanning rather than get risk missing anyone by telling two groups of two to join up into a quad. I've sent emails to both Stevens and Snoqualmie customer service about this and at Snoqualmie they actually did improve this a year or two ago but seem to have backslid, whereas at Stevens I got very officious brush off style replies and I've seen zero change and the lifties I asked said they have never been told to think at all about chair loading efficiency) I think they must be aiming to hone their targeting of marketing to find and sell more of the types of folks who ski a few runs then hit the lodge. As a relevant aside, I rode the lifts at Stevens on Wednesday and got there early so had a sense of there being not that many cars there. For the most part I didn't see that many others on the lifts so assumed that it was just a light day at the resort. Finally feeling tired and a bit wet at 1PM, I headed into the lodge to finish my sandwich while drying out a little before another hour or so of skiing. I was amazed to see the ski racks packed and the lodge also quite packed. It blew me away how many people were hanging in the lodge and clearly not getting out for much skiing at all, based on how those of us skiing were riding right up to the chair loading line all day. There is for sure a market for them to target!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:40 pm 
Instagram and maps have caused “hiking to be overcrowded”? What? I cannot remember an overcrowded hike, ever. Of course I’m not one of the dummies who drives the absolute minimum distance from a major city to hike on a weekend. But if I ever do that, I will know what to blame: maps! ykm.gif Good thread, I’ve learned a lot. Parking lots are an affront to rural people, ski runs cause global warming, and maps have ruined hiking. lol.gif

neek

neek
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:46 pm 
Will I too lose the ability to recognise satire when I'm older?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:51 pm 
I may have missed some context from the remark about maps as most of this thread is blank due to me keeping the dimmer bulbs on ignore. Still, if that was meant to be funny then it was pretty weak sauce. You seem to have lost the ability to see laughter emojis, or maybe lost the ability to know what they mean. A reminder: a laughter emoji is deployed to make sure no one can possibly think the poster is serious.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 2:21 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
As long as we're dreaming.
Rail to light rail..... i90 and route 2???

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 2:32 pm 
I'm not seeing garages, expansions without a roadway overhaul. Route 2 is a mess Sunday afternoons. Locals along route 2 must love all that traffic...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 2:37 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Have you skied at Stevens in the last 30 years?
Yes, but not on January or February weekends. The last time I had Disney level queues was at Crystal about 5 years ago, never again. I don't enjoy shuffling along in queues, so I choose when and where I go in order to avoid "peak days"

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 5:14 pm 
No lift lines on the rivers!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 5:35 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
No lift lines on the rivers!
Ya sure ya betcha -- there is never any crowding on rivers

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 10:37 am 
More you use those ignore buttons, less relevant y'arr in the conversation. Gotta keep up

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Feb 15, 2020 2:19 pm 
A new $20 shuttle begins runs from Monroe to Stevens Pass Overcrowded parking in the ski area and heavy traffic on U.S. 2 prompted the new weekend service.
Quote:
The Starline Luxury Coaches charter bus will leave from Monroe Plaza Saturdays and Sundays at 7:30 a.m. It will depart from the ski area at 4 p.m. The shuttle has a restroom and Wi-Fi aboard. Right now, there’s just one bus that holds 56 people. Pettigrew said they can add more if there’s demand.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun Feb 16, 2020 4:59 am 
Problem is with a transit train is you have a 8 mile tunnel going under Stevens Pass. Unless you have a midway elevator or transportation on each side of the tunnel to the top of Stevens Pass this isn't going to happen.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 16, 2020 10:34 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
It sounds like skiing has the same problem as hiking: over-crowding due to Instagram and maps.
This problem predates Instagram by a long measure --
Quote:
Standing in a queue for 30+ minutes per chair lift ride is why I started ski touring back in 1971
I've learned on this forum that overcrowding can only be caused by Instagram. And other social media to a lesser extent. All of our problems are caused by other people using computers. So, those people that drove you away from the resorts in 1971 must have had some kind of time machine to read the future internet. I've also read here that an Enchantment style permit system is the solution, maybe Stevens Pass should have a lottery to see which 25 people get to ski in a day.