Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking garage and hotel at Stevens Pass?
Previous :: Next Topic  
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito

Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 6:36 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
joker wrote:
Vail and Alterra love selling passes to people who are happy with five runs but who buy food and maybe lodging

Free parking with a two drink minimum will be the new model.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 6:48 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Yes -- and IME skiing at Crystal on full parking lot days is of marginal value in terms of vertical skied for dollar spent.    The last time I bought a ticket at Crystal after parking on Lot F -- I got all of 5 runs and spent the bulk of the day standing in Disneyland type queues.

So it's not just a question of parking lot capacity and using shuttle buses to deliver more skiers to the base of the mountain -- the lift system has to provide sufficient capacity to service the skiers.    Standing in a queue for 30+ minutes per chair lift ride is why I started ski touring back in 1971 when my 13 yo self realized I could hike to the top of the lift more quickly than waiting in the lift line.

It sounds like skiing has the same problem as hiking:  over-crowding due to Instagram and maps.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito

Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 11:18 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
It sounds like skiing has the same problem as hiking:  over-crowding due to Instagram and maps.

This problem predates Instagram by a long measure --
Quote:
Standing in a queue for 30+ minutes per chair lift ride is why I started ski touring back in 1971
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 9:58 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:

This problem predates Instagram by a long measure --
Quote:
Standing in a queue for 30+ minutes per chair lift ride is why I started ski touring back in 1971

Then its probably the maps' fault. It usually is. Need to get certain locales removed from the maps.

I like this whole more-booze-ya-drink-the-cheaper-it-is-to-park deal.

--------------
I ALWAYS camp at the upper lake!!!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito

Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 11:00 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Then its probably the maps' fault. It usually is. Need to get certain locales removed from the maps.

Yeah sure ya betcha,  those school bus drivers bringing bus loads of elementary and middle school students by the thousands to Snoqualmie Pass ski areas in the 60s and 70s could have never left the Seattle suburbs without USGS topographic maps.
Schroder

Schroder

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:00 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Standing in a queue for 30+ minutes per chair lift ride is why I started ski touring back in 1971 when my 13 yo self realized I could hike to the top of the lift more quickly than waiting in the lift line.

That's why they came up with high-speed quads.  Even on peak days at Stevens I've not waited in line longer than 5 minutes other than first run in the morning waiting for the chair to get started.  Have you skied at Stevens in the last 30 years?
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:01 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Free parking with a two drink minimum will be the new model.

With all that lift loading data they collect (And they are clearly prioritizing this data collection over customer experience for those loading the lifts - e.g. at Stevens and to a fair extent  at Snoqualmie they don't teach the  lift line attendants to put any priority on getting people to fill chairs when decent sized lines have formed; no, the attendants just keep on scanning rather  than get risk missing  anyone by telling two groups  of two to join up into a quad. I've sent emails to both Stevens and Snoqualmie customer service about this and at Snoqualmie they actually did improve this a year or two ago but seem to have backslid, whereas at Stevens I got very officious brush off style replies and I've seen  zero change and the lifties I asked said they have never been  told to think at all about chair loading efficiency) I think they must be aiming to hone their targeting of marketing to find and sell more of the types of folks who ski a few runs then hit the  lodge. As a relevant aside, I rode the lifts at Stevens on Wednesday and got there early so had a sense of there being not that many cars there. For the most part I didn't see that many others on the lifts so assumed that it was just a light day at the resort. Finally feeling  tired and a bit wet at 1PM, I headed into the lodge to finish my sandwich while drying out a little before another  hour or so of skiing. I was amazed to see the ski racks packed and the lodge also quite packed. It blew me away how many people were hanging in the  lodge and clearly not getting out for much skiing at all, based on how those of us skiing were riding right up to the chair loading line all day. There is for sure a market for them to target!
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman

It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:40 pm 
Instagram and maps have caused “hiking to be overcrowded”? What? I cannot remember an overcrowded hike, ever. Of course I’m not one of the dummies who drives the absolute minimum distance from a major city to hike on a weekend. But if I ever do that, I will know what to blame: maps!  ykm.gif

Good thread, I’ve learned a lot. Parking lots are an affront to rural people, ski runs cause global warming, and maps have ruined hiking.  lol.gif

--------------
“The jerking motion of a knee does not reflect the operation of a mind”  Slugman, January 24th 2020
neek

neek

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:46 pm 
Will I too lose the ability to recognise satire when I'm older?
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman

It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:51 pm 
I may have missed some context from the remark about maps as most of this thread is blank due to me keeping the dimmer bulbs on ignore. Still, if that was meant to be funny then it was pretty weak sauce.

You seem to have lost the ability to see laughter emojis, or maybe lost the ability to know what they  mean. A reminder: a laughter emoji is deployed to make sure no one can possibly think the poster is serious.

--------------
“The jerking motion of a knee does not reflect the operation of a mind”  Slugman, January 24th 2020
Brucester

Brucester

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 2:21 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
As long as we're dreaming.

Rail to light rail..... i90 and route 2???
Brucester

Brucester

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 2:32 pm 
I'm not seeing garages, expansions without a roadway overhaul.

Route 2 is a mess Sunday afternoons. Locals along route 2 must love all that traffic...
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito

Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 2:37 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Have you skied at Stevens in the last 30 years?

Yes, but not on January or February weekends.   The last time I had Disney level queues was at Crystal about 5 years ago, never again.   

I don't enjoy shuffling along in queues, so I choose when and where I go in order to avoid "peak days"
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 5:14 pm 
No lift lines on the rivers!
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito

Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 5:35 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
No lift lines on the rivers!

Ya sure ya betcha -- there is never any crowding on rivers

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking garage and hotel at Stevens Pass?
  Happy Birthday jbsimm2, K-Lack!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: