Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking garage and hotel at Stevens Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 28, 2019 8:10 am 
Whistler has the gates, fixed scanners, owned by Vail, and Epic passes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Feb 28, 2019 10:19 pm 
When I asked I was told that injuries are the reason they got rid of the gates at Stevens. Too many people were skiing too fast into them and were injured when they didn't open.

ejain

ejain
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 1:14 am 
Vertec wrote:
The other frustrating thing I see is when the person ahead of me refuses to enter the roundabout if they observe ANY car within the roundabout
Part of the problem is that few drivers here know that they are supposed to signal when they are about to exit the roundabout. In consequence, drivers waiting to enter the roundabout hesitate a few seconds longer before being confident that the approaching car is exiting...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 1:01 pm 
ejain wrote:
Vertec wrote:
The other frustrating thing I see is when the person ahead of me refuses to enter the roundabout if they observe ANY car within the roundabout
Part of the problem is that few drivers here know that they are supposed to signal when they are about to exit the roundabout. In consequence, drivers waiting to enter the roundabout hesitate a few seconds longer before being confident that the approaching car is exiting...
Again this is just weak merging skills. Whether a driver has their blinker on or not , a driver with strong merging skills will judge the speed and spacing of other vehicles in the roundabout and can safely enter the roundabout -- it's OK to have multiple cars in a roundabout with only a few feet between them. A timid driver that needs the roundabout to be empty of other vehicles in order to feel safe is in the same category as a "no you go" driver at a four way stop.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 1:57 pm 
I enjoy the "no, you go" way of life. It's a relief to realize that not everybody is a pushy jerk.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 3:29 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I enjoy the "no, you go" way of life. It's a relief to realize that not everybody is a pushy jerk.
Sure, but when result is a dozen cars backed up behind someone not following right of way rules -- it isn't really considerate to all concerned. As areas develop from rural to urban population density adjustments are necessary-- for people that have lived rural their whole life this can be a pain in the ass.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 3:50 pm 
I agree Randy, And that practice manifests itself a few different ways. I have witnessed dozens of times where someone stops in the middle of an arterial street and allows someone who it just drove up to exit a parking lot to enter the road in front of them, meanwhile 20 others behind them miss the light because of the misplaced "courtesy" to one car.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 7:32 pm 
Schenk wrote:
I have witnessed dozens of times where someone stops in the middle of an arterial street and allows someone who it just drove up to exit a parking lot to enter the road in front of them, meanwhile 20 others behind them miss the light because of the misplaced "courtesy" to one car
Behavior like that isn't just misdirected courtesy, it is also a road hazard. I wonder how many rear end collisions or swerve to avoid collisions have occurred due to ignoring/being ignorant of the right of way rules. Driving in New York is high intensity, (I just got back from a two week visit) but in some ways less stressful than driving in Washington-- drivers are predictable and courteous. In Washington there is more random behavior-- but not as bad as in Utah which has some amazingly clueless drivers...

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 9:41 pm 
I have been that person stuck in a driveway and I appreciated being let onto the road. The world has too many jerks in cars. Shouldn't you be riding the bus or biking anyway?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Vertec

Vertec
PostSat Mar 02, 2019 12:45 am 
There is NO chapter in any drivers manual in existence that instructs a driver how to control other drivers - if such a chapter existed, it would be titled: "Passive Aggressive Driving Techniques", because that is exactly what it is. Unfortunately, it seems that most people in the PNW believe they're justified in their passive aggressive actions to control other drivers. Aggressive drivers are not the problem because they have a "get out of my way" attitude, which yes, can be harsh when other drivers overtly get in their way. Passive aggressive drivers have the "I need to get in your way" attitude, which is a very, very pathological mindset. Believing you know what other people should or shouldn't do, or believing you can control them is not healthy.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Vertec

Vertec
PostSat Mar 02, 2019 12:49 am 
ejain wrote:
Thank you very much for posting that reference. I'm forwarding to everyone I know.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSat Mar 02, 2019 6:21 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Thats not how you make a road efficient though.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Mar 02, 2019 9:43 am 
Just roll down the window and start yelling "GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!!" that's what I do!!

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Mar 02, 2019 3:39 pm 
I can't stand the "no, you go" thing. For crying out loud, learn the rules of the road. Learn who has the right of way in each situation and then if you have the right of way, take it. That's not being pushy, that's driving in a way that makes sense and makes things as efficient as possible. There are reasons why we drive on the right side of the road and not any old lane we want. There are reasons we stop at stop signs and red lights. There are reasons why the left lane on a multi-lane highway is designated as the passing lane. The reasons are safety and efficiency. There have been plenty of times when someone has clearly had the right of way but signaled me to go. I will sit there and not move and ignore them. I'm NOT going to pull out in front of someone and put myself at risk of being at fault in an accident. It's not an uncommon scam for someone to let the other person have the right of way then run into them and claim to the cops & insurance that the other person didn't yield properly.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 02, 2019 5:46 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
It's not an uncommon scam for someone to let the other person have the right of way then run into them and claim to the cops & insurance that the other person didn't yield properly.
This is why dash cameras are almost universal in Russia and many other parts of the world.