Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > what canadian mountain city would you move to?
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostWed Feb 20, 2019 11:42 pm 
goals: raise family. stable job for a physical therapist. wants: clean air. close to ski resort. close to appealing mountains and other natural beauty size: between 5,000 - 100,000 people location: a province that borders the US, and likely somewhere within 150 miles of the border (avoid extremes a little more, plus family access when visiting) --- places so far (though they might not meet all goals): - Rossland, BC - Nelson, BC - Revelstoke, BC - Golden, BC - Fernie, BC - Creston, BC - Vernon, BC

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 am 
Iron - Sounds like you need to do a road trip this summer, check out the ambience of these towns. I only know Revelstoke and Golden (a bit), and Nelson, 3rd hand. Nelson seems to have a reputation as an artist mecca of sorts, so maybe more "culture" than Revelstoke or Golden. They're nice towns, but I would probably go stir-crazy there. You can only ski/hike so much, eh? Several of my friends who were long-time Banff/Canmore residents area decamped to Invermere more than a decade ago when the Bow Valley began to get over-developed. They seem to like it, so it might be worth a look, never been there myself. I thought the vistas on the Coquihalla Highway (great road) near Merritt were just lovely but know nothing of the town. What about Kelowna/Penticton area? More accessible than some of the other towns you mentioned, and maybe more employment opportunities.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 7:31 am 
Look into Smithers, BC. That's the place I considered for a while. A bit further north but worth checking out.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 8:26 am 
Real estate prices are Seattleish in some of those places. What is your price range? Kelowna and Penticton are pricey. Penticton is "wine country" now. Whilst our Okanogan Valley struggles a bit, their Okanagan Valley is SoCal. If you want a guarantee on the air quality in the summer, BC had the same choking smoke that we had. In fact, much of what we got was from Canada. You can't find such a place that doesn't have a chance of fire smoke. We trade smoke back and forth, depending on wind conditions. I haven't been up there since returning. I plan to when weather is good. They do have a nice bike trail network that needs to be explored. I take it you want to get away from our current political climate. I'd advise listening to their CBC news a bit because they have some stuff going on also. Good luck. I live within 50 miles partly thinking "just in case" but I have hope that won't be necessary.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 9:57 am 
Farther north, but Jasper is a great town. Kind of strange in that you can only live there if you have a job there, or worked there for five years immediately prior to retirement. Ski gondola almost right out of town. Considering size of town quite a variety of restaurants. Public indoor pool. Decent library. Local cross country ski community, bike and trails in summer. Not sure I like the trail running biz in griz country, but, .... Bigger town outside park a little ways to E. Edmonton again to E for complete city. All those activities must drive need for therapy. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 10:16 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
They're nice towns, but I would probably go stir-crazy there. You can only ski/hike so much, eh?
That's my issue with Northern Idaho, especially in Winter. I am getting pretty burnt out on snowmobiling, but there's not a lot more to do here. There are only about 500 year around residents where I am. It's really nice not having neighbors and all, but even in Verlot, where I stay the rest of the year, it's only 20-25 miles to Marysville-Everett where I can fullfill pretty much any desire I want. Here it's 35-40 to the nearest small town/s, about the size of Granite Falls, and about 85 to Spokane and 65 to Sandpoint. Like everything in life, there is a pos-neg...finding a happy medium can be difficult, good luck Iron!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
iron

iron
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 10:55 am 
kelowna has always been in the back of my mind for reasons noted above and its proximity to 4 ski resorts. drawback is that it feels a bit sprawly and blah to me, but that's only in passing that i noticed it. it feels like the wenatchee of the north, but bigger/better. yes, political climate is a factor. <active shooter drift removed by moderator> we need to make the decision in 2.5 years or less (canada, new zealand, northern europe, s america)

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 1:35 pm 
Is Chiliwack too big? There's also eastern & SE Vancouver Island - just returned from a trip there and really enjoyed it. Mt. Washington is the ski resort on the island, but I've never been so can't comment on how good it is/isn't.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 2:40 pm 
FWIW we're tossing around the idea of scoping college possibilities for our spawn north of the border, in hopes she'd be able to work out dual citizenship. Healthcare is the big deal.... it's becoming financially unworkable down here, especially for kids starting out.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 3:28 pm 
Are you eligible to emigrate to Canada? There are some hefty requirements. I looked into it a decade ago and even as a highly skilled professional in a field where there isn't enough talent , scoring enough points in their system isn't easy.

iron

iron
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 3:29 pm 
i think so. wife is on their list of occupations. based on the scoring list, it seems she'd score above 70. current average acceptance score is 67. time is against us, since you lose points the older you get.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 3:41 pm 
FWIW: I was just up in Nelson for a hut trip and hut keeper grew up in Nelson and mentioned how much it had changed and how less polite and in a hurry the "Vancouverites" that had escaped to Nelson were.

iron

iron
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 3:44 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
FWIW: I was just up in Nelson for a hut trip and hut keeper grew up in Nelson and mentioned how much it had changed and how less polite and in a hurry the "Vancouverites" that had escaped to Nelson were.
story of the world.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 5:28 pm 
I worked in Australia and had landed immigrant status when I was younger and 5 years ago spent 3 years working in Ottawa. BC is nice but housing is scary expensive unfortunately high paying jobs are in Ontario. Working conditions are better IMO strong unions and longer vacations family leave and free medical care. Taxes are higher but not that much higher unemployment is higher very high outside of large cities. Bad news they have active shooter drills in schools but few shootings. I always came back to US mostly because we have a paid up house. Canada is similar to the US but you will always be a bit of a stranger in a strange land IMO.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 5:41 pm 
I wouldn't worry that much about lottery risks. Similar to hiking, the risks of driving to and from are magnitudes larger.