Forum Index > Trip Reports > MRNP: West Side Road 2.26.19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 9:07 pm 
I was editing some video on the West Side Road and had a hankering to visit it in the snow. I had actually packed my bike with appropriate clothing to bike from Longmire to Paradise and then hike towards Muir, but it was obvious as soon as I entered the park that the roads were not ready for biking; lots of packed and semi icy snow covered much of the road right from the entrance, so I had to miss my annual February bike; I'll wait for better (and warmer) conditions. After chowing down at Longmire I went back to the WSR and unpacked the snowshoes. I set off with balmy weather.....17 degrees F. There was a nice track for the first couple of miles but then things thinned out. From the gate at 3 miles I was basically breaking trail over an old ski track. I had my sights set on the open area that has experienced many washouts but is now regraded and it didn't disappoint. The distant mountain, beautiful blue skies and sculpted snow over the rocks and logs that surrounded Tahoma Creek made for a stark but interesting landscape. I wanted to be home for dinner so turned around here. As I retraced my steps the clouds moved in and the wind increased, prompting me to put on a warmer hat and gloves. I regained my truck at 3 PM and noted that it was 31 degrees, so a chilly day indeed. However, I'm glad I was able to get out in great winter conditions with clear skies for a nice workout. Stats: 10 miles/1500'
calm waters
calm waters
Longmire Inn icicles
Longmire Inn icicles
icicles and Rainier
icicles and Rainier
sunrise
sunrise
sunrise through trees
sunrise through trees
skinny white trees
skinny white trees
snow around dry creek
snow around dry creek
speed limit
speed limit
mounds
mounds
Mt Wow
Mt Wow
covered logs
covered logs
snow on rocks
snow on rocks
bridge over Fish Creek
bridge over Fish Creek
tracks
tracks
wide angle
wide angle
Tahoma Creek
Tahoma Creek
snow bumps
snow bumps
clouds moving in
clouds moving in
Shadows
Shadows
ski track
ski track

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 9:14 pm 
I had the same idea today, called the ranger who informed me there was no parking room along the road by the entrance to the WSR...sounds like they were wrong and did not want to encourage such rebel behavior. So was there enough pullout space for a car or two? ..or did you park elsewhere? I'm looking forward to this ski trip soon.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 7:00 am 
Plenty of room for 4 or 5 cars

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 8:25 am 
flatsqwerl wrote:
called the ranger who informed me there was no parking room along the road by the entrance to the WSR...
I can see why now the road is gated there, but mid-summer, why do you (anyone?) suppose? The road closure at the creek just before the rockfall area seems logical enough to me. And that view of the mountain from Longmire Lodge is one of my favorites. Thanks for the report.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Mar 05, 2019 9:34 pm 
Thanks to Williswall's assurance of adequate parking at the westside rd entrance, I made the ski trek in today to Round pass. The road is pretty thrashed for the first 3 miles by snowshoes/skis and lots of tree debris from the wind. The ski track gets much better after 3 miles in. At the Tahoma trail turnoff to the right, the tracks abruptly end.... so I then had the road to Round pass to myself. I put in a nice trail to round pass and turned around there. Many large elk tracks were seen. A few cat tracks which appeared to be following porcupine tracks. Rabbit tracks were seen as well. It was nice cruising coming out. it took me half the time to come out as it did to go in. After a few inches of fresh snow ( sounds likely in the next few days ), this will be an even better ski....still, very worth it today.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Mar 05, 2019 11:32 pm 
Nice! What’s your ski set up? Much faster than snowshoes but I couldn’t see using my back country set up on the road.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 7:52 am 
WW, my setup is 30+ year old Fischer touring crowns, XC 3 pin type.

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 1:24 pm 
Love your avatar photo BTW. Groundspeed of 720 is none too shabby no matter what you're flying! up.gif up.gif

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 2:32 pm 
Blowdown wrote:
Groundspeed of 720 is none too shabby no matter what you're flying!
That was in a 777 over the Pacific, still the best I've seen (equals 828 MPH). For reference the speed of the earth's rotation at the equator is 1037 MPH. At 50 degrees north, the earth's rotation is 667 MPH, approx where that GS was recorded.