Forum Index > Trail Talk > Recreation.gov for ONP wilderness backpacking reservations starts 03-18-2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hbb

hbb
PostTue Mar 19, 2019 9:35 am 
Brian R wrote:
I see no sites completely booked out anywhere on any summer dates.
Some spots are already booked out on prime Saturdays, at least in zones where only 50% of sites are reservable.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Mar 19, 2019 11:09 am 
Quote:
These days you have to figure out ALL yer hikes by mid march and have dates planned!!! Can't just wait till summer and take off on fridays unplanned. It really caters to this crowd of older weekend warrior types who buy nalgenes with the straws built in!!!! Those dumb ones you have to suck like a baby bottle!
BB, I agree--and part of me is ashamed I even bother playing the game. Truth is, more often than not I don't bother with the permit thing. I deliberately don't in NCNP--the least-used national park in the lower 48. But in this instance, I'm traveling with someone who can't afford a "trespass" strike on their clearance rating. And it's hard to outrun a bureaucrat's radio.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Mar 19, 2019 11:51 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
These days you have to figure out ALL yer hikes by mid march and have dates planned!!! Can't just wait till summer and take off on fridays unplanned. It really caters to this crowd of older weekend warrior types who buy nalgenes with the straws built in!!!! Those dumb ones you have to suck like a baby bottle!
Only true if you want to go to one of the quota areas, but anywhere else in the park they have unlimited walk-ups, so take any Friday off if you are heading to Enchanted Valley, Bailey Range, Muncaster Basin, Dose Meadows, Anderson Pass, Cedar lake, Dodger point, Home Sweet home, Lake of the Angles etc etc etc...but not Royal Basin, 7 lakes, Lena Lake, Glacier Meadow.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.