Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > WA Governor Inslee running a campaign based on fighting Global Climate Change.
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Mar 05, 2019 11:29 pm 
The Washington state governor*, Jay Inslee was interviewed yesterday on the Rachel Maddow Show. He is running for President on the single issue--Climate Change. Rachel gives a little background on his time in the U.S. Congress and then starts the actual interview at minute 06:30.
I like this statement from his webpage. We are the first generation to feel the sting of climate change, and we are the last generation that can do something about it. The science is clear – we have a short period of time to act. Whether we shrink from this challenge, or rise to it, is the biggest question we face. Not trying to start a "political" conversation, just one about the need to respond to our global crisis. We need all the focused attention we can get on this issue that affects our quality of life and the survival of many of the species on the planet. Edit: Note. We are not re-engaging in the arguments about whether humankind activity-influenced Global Climate Change is a real thing or not. Please continue that discussion and debate over here in this thread. This is for tracking Inslee's bid for the nomination and bringing attention to the climate problems we are facing now and down the road. Thank you. *Edit 2: Apparently some folks are offended by calling him "our" governor. (I did get permission to post this.) ~z

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 8:42 am 
He is our governor, so we Washingtonians have a nuanced view of Inslee bred of familiarity. But for the rest of the country he is Al Gore 2.0. Square-jawed and handsome, rather stiff on a podium, and focused on climate change. I have difficulty seeing him make it past a national field due to a lack of charisma while speaking. If you have seen both him and Kamala Harris speaking extemporaneously, you know what I mean.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 8:54 am 
He's nothing special as far as I see. I do not like hearing him take credit for our green power. That was started before he was born. We happen to have a lot of hydropower and I don't think he had anything to do with that. The windfarms are a novelty when compared with what the dams put out. I think he should stick to being a governor.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 1:43 pm 
Quote:
We are the first generation to feel the sting of climate change
Too bad that is not true: https://ourworldindata.org/exports/fatality-rates-in-the-us-due-to-weather-events_v4_850x600.svg

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 4:26 pm 
He has zero chance of being nominated. Another funny guy is Howard Schultz...he is widely loathed in his own state. Ok, no more politics, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 6:17 pm 
Eric Willhite wrote:
zephyr wrote:
We are the first generation to feel the sting of climate change
Can you give me examples in your life of the "sting"?
Um, I didn't actually "write" that statement, I was quoting his statement from his webpage and his interview. I understand what he is saying (I believe), but I am not going to get into an argument with you about this. Your question has a confrontational edge to it. I would say among many examples of the effects of climate change, the dying of the coral reefs due to overheating is pretty worrisome. That and the loss of sea ice in the Arctic. ~z

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 9:32 pm 
Jay Inslee makes Cardi B sound like Winston Churchill.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 10:19 pm 
He is the only candidate campaigning on the most important issue facing the country and the world. For that reason alone his campaign is worthwhile, win, lose, or tie.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 2:09 am 
I'm a little surprised that Tom allowed the Maddow/Inslee interview link, but that being said, seems it should have been another post in the GW thread (now 9K+ strong and fairly active recently.) smile.gif
Sculpin wrote:
I have difficulty seeing him make it past a national field due to a lack of charisma while speaking. If you have seen both him and Kamala Harris speaking extemporaneously, you know what I mean.
I watched the gubernatorial debates; I'd say it's more than a charisma issue. See MyFootHurts's post above. ykm.gif Thunderhead: interesting chart. Seems like we got the lightning threat sorted, eh? Wonder if that's due to the decrease in the # of family farms since WW2 and inc in hazard education on golf courses? Weird that lightning deaths were the only ones reliably tallied for stats until 1940.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 11:13 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
but that being said, seems it should have been another post in the GW thread (now 9K+ strong and fairly active recently.) smile.gif
Good point, Anne Elk. That's just it. That other thread is huge and a bit unwieldy. This discussion is for Inslee's bid for the nomination and a campaign based on dealing with man-made global climate change. It's all about bringing more attention to the issue. The other thread can continue all the rancorous back and forth about whether there is is a problem or not. Plenty of room there for those arguments. We're not repeating that debate here , just tracking how Inslee handles this on a larger stage. It's much easier to put down someone's efforts to deal with this issue than sit back and take potshots or sling mud. ~z

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 11:22 am 
I don't know much about Politics (not sure I really want too)....it seems that even Democrats on another forum who also live in this state don't care for Inslee, anyone care to tell me why in a Politically Correct Fashion? tongue.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 11:34 am 
Anne elk, tornado and hurricane deaths are reliably tallied further back and are strongly decreasing over the history of this country as well. Dunno why they aren't on that list...

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 1:22 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I don't know much about Politics (not sure I really want too)....it seems that even Democrats on another forum who also live in this state don't care for Inslee, anyone care to tell me why in a Politically Correct Fashion? tongue.gif
I believe "schmuck" is an apolitical word.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 1:29 pm 
Ok, "Schmuck"..."A Foolish or Contemptible person"....So I get why Howard Schultz is "Contemptible" due to his selling off of the Sonics, but why is Inslee a Schmuck?

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 2:11 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
it seems that even Democrats on another forum who also live in this state don't care for Inslee, anyone care to tell me why in a Politically Correct Fashion?
I used to ID as Dem until I got fed up with everyone. I'll send you a PM, 'cause we're not supposed to discuss politics here. But there are a few hints, above.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood