Forum Index > Trail Talk > Any snow left on the trails at Cougar Mountain?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jm31828

jm31828
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 12:22 am 
I have family here from out of state and was thinking of taking them on a nearby hike- possibly the coal creek falls trail on cougar mountain at Newcastle. Is there any snow left there on the trails?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 9:14 am 
Judging from WTA trip reports, snow levels in the Issy Alp are at ~1000' so Coal Creek Falls is likely snow-free.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 9:25 am 
I just drove past the Cougar Mtn trailhead this morning. The field on the way to the falls had snow but there was a path of dirt over the trail itself. It looks like you could make it to the falls.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 9:33 am 
I hiked the Coal Creek trail (below Red Town trailhead) earlier this week , the mile below Red Town was snow covered. However from the lower parking lot off of Coal Creek Parkway, the trail was snow free for the 1st 1.5 miles and in good shape. The city has very quickly cleared trees felled by snowpocalypse from the trail.

nordique

nordique
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 10:52 pm 
I hiked out of Redtown, on Cougar, a week ago--and the trails were in very "bumpy" condition: lots of frozen old icy tracks. We used traction devices and I ended up with a very sore right ankle. I had to cancel out of climbing at Vertical World last week due to my ankle issues. Last Tuesday I led a hike on up Squak Mt, via the Old Griz Trail, to the central peak--and that trail was in terrible shape, with rock hard ice and terrible footing. Today I hiked on Cougar, mostly up Big Tree Ridge, and never donned my traction devices--but we had a nice late start. I carried traction devices but never used them. I should mention that I had my right ankle replaced in 2014 and that ankle has very little motion: I can't balance on my right foot at all (due to combat injuries in Viet Nam). As our days warm, our hiking conditions should continue to improve a lot!