Forum Index > Gear Talk > new climbing harness search...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Mar 13, 2019 6:26 pm 
My favorite harness, by far, is the Metolius "Safe Tech" with the two belay loops and the double back style waist belt buckle. But, they now only supply that harness with the newer, "speed buckle". I really dislike those, and it seems everyone is going to that style, so it appears that I'm outta luck. (%$#@#! lawyers, I suspect). Searching the 'net tonight (so far) has resulted in Ø (zero) harnesses with that style buckle. Do any of you know of a manufacturer that still uses this buckle? Second question is, somewhere recently I saw/read of a harness that has a small loop sewn into the leg harness strap, designed to clip a 'biner into for use with a prussik or klemheist autoblock. Do any of you know which one this might be. I'll keep searching, but haven't found it (yet). Thanks, all...

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 10:24 am 
Moonspots, Give Misty Mountain a call. Their Cadillac harness may still use traditional dbl-back buckles. They might even custom sew one for you???? (I am speculating on that one though) https://mistymountain.com/shop/climbing/climbing-harnesses/cadillac/ Regarding using a leg loop as the anchor point for a rappel backup. I tried that years ago and it seemed like it would tend to throw you backwards, and even upside down, if you ever put weight on the backup (like when you need it...unconscious from rockfall or something). It was uncomfortable to have body weight on a single leg loop and forever more I hooked any backup into my belay loop. That's just me. I see folks do it various ways.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 1:57 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Moonspots, Give Misty Mountain a call. Their Cadillac harness may still use traditional dbl-back buckles. They might even custom sew one for you???? (I am speculating on that one though) https://mistymountain.com/shop/climbing/climbing-harnesses/cadillac/ Regarding using a leg loop as the anchor point for a rappel backup. I tried that years ago and it seemed like it would tend to throw you backwards, and even upside down, if you ever put weight on the backup (like when you need it...unconscious from rockfall or something). It was uncomfortable to have body weight on a single leg loop and forever more I hooked any backup into my belay loop. That's just me. I see folks do it various ways.
Thank you, for the MM referral, and the leg loop opinion based on experience. I've yet tho have the auto block engage, but if/when it does, I'd like for it to be actually useful. agree.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology