Forum Index > Trip Reports > Neiderprum trail to High Pass 17 oct 2020
Previous :: Next Topic  
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya

Fortune Cookie
PostSat Oct 17, 2020 10:51 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Most people know this trail as the route to So-bahli-ahli Mountain summit. So-bahli-ahli mountain is that dominating peak near Darrington. Most reports I have seen for the summit are from around May time and I can see why - there is A LOT of brush on this trail.

The road to the deactivated bridge is bumpy and muddy, but very short. Me and Cookie started a bit late, but this rainy day there were no other cars. We walked through very wet forest on the road for about a mile and found the trailhead, with the sign and even the register. The sign said trail is not maintained for stock. Well, for an official forest service trail this trail is quite a bit more of a route than a trail. After first few switchbacks it ditches the idea of switchbacks completely and just goes up. Definitely one of the steepest and brushiest trails I know.

Lone tree pass is a bit of misnomer as there are quite a few trees there.

After lone tree pass the trail goes down and starts a long sidehilling traverse towards high pass. A week ago this area received nice dumping of snow, but than the rain fell on top of it and melted most of the snow. This created an interesting effect, where all the grass became flat over the slope and very wet. It was super slippery.

Eventually we got to high pass. From there it is only 0.4 miles left to the summit, but I could make out crevasses on the glacier and with thin wet layer of slippery snow on it and no visibility I decided it was not wise to continue past high pass. I am chicken this way. Cookie wanted to continue, but I carry all the food, so I convinced her going back down is a better choice.

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 6:29 am 
Good outing!

kitya wrote:
for an official forest service trail this trail is quite a bit more of a route than a trail.

Decades ago ( up until the '80s) Whitehorse was a fairly popular climb and the trail was pretty good. Not surprising that it has become less popular, as steep as it is.

kitya wrote:
It was super slippery.

Cookie has built-in crampons.

kitya wrote:
decided it was not wise to continue past high pass. I am chicken this way.

Not chicken, but wise. You would have almost certainly been stopped just short of the summit, which is guarded late season by a difficult and intimidating moat. eek.gif

--------------
Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
NBL
West Seattle Based

NBL

West Seattle Based
PostMon Oct 19, 2020 8:53 am 
Wow! This climb is high on my list and I know it's a tough one. I bet I would have turned around at the same place if not before. I always thought this was one to tackle in the spring with perfect conditions.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Neiderprum trail to High Pass 17 oct 2020
  Happy Birthday trestin, Bushwa Thunderhooey, bellarocks77!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: