Forum Index > Trail Talk > Good June Hikes/Backpacking Routes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
comeonandham
night hiker

comeonandham
night hiker
PostSun Mar 17, 2019 5:19 pm 
I've got June 12-23rd off of teaching, and I'm wondering what sort of hiking, or preferably backpacking, could be done around that time without too much snow? Wonderland, Section K of the PCT, and a loop around Glacier are my top priorities but none of those seem doable until later in the summer(?). Any other suggestions?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Mar 17, 2019 7:55 pm 
It's hard to say, weather obviously makes a huge impact. Are you looking for snow free hiking or are you ok crossing snowfields? Do you have crampons if you do hit snow and need them? The question is a little bit too general to answer easily. I would say mid June you probably will see snow at some of the upper elevations on some of those areas but late June to July the snow should not bed to bad. But I'm not sure how bad the snow has been in those areas this winter either.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Mar 17, 2019 9:40 pm 
Much further away, and not sure if this fits your druthers, but Great Basin ranges are often prime in early/mid June. Best I know are east of Ely, NV. Mount Moriah and the n. end of the Snake Range -also the Deep Creek range, a little north, and barely over the Utah border. I've made multiple trips to both these ranges and would gladly return. I'd check the snowpack long about Mem. Day. Word is it's big this year but you've got near 3 months to go.

Off trail rambler
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Mar 18, 2019 8:32 am 
It's a good time for a rain forest or coastal hike. See 100 Hikes in the Olympics. You might look into trips along the Vancouver Island coast or BC coast as well.

drm

drm
PostMon Mar 18, 2019 9:11 am 
The Columbia River Gorge will be snow free in June. Though with Eagle Creek still closed, that mainly means Herman Ck and around. But 20-30 mile loops can be done, using either the PCT over Benson Plateau, or another option farther east like the Rainy-Wahtum Road or going by North Lake. And while there, on the other side of the Columbia an overnighter can be done in the Trapper Creek area as well.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Mar 18, 2019 10:04 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
I'd focus on destinations east of the Cascade Crest. Leavenworth area, Chiwaukum, Chelan Sawtooths, Pasayten
FYI there's a lot of snow hanging around over here it Kittitas Co for this late in the season, so I'm not sure how soon we'll be getting into the high country. Normal early season lower elevation stuff down nearer the basin still has snow... even the Quincy DOT cam! Since all that has to not just clear of snow but dry out (if you try to walk or even drive through that mud it will be a one time only lesson, trust me) we're late even getting to that.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Waterman

Waterman
PostMon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am 
North end Vancouver Island Cape Scott Provincial park. 5 hours from Sidney if you take wa state ferry. Will be a muddy trail.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Mar 18, 2019 11:07 am 
ah, it'll be gone. the snow always melts in the summer

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Mar 18, 2019 12:08 pm 
Haven't done it, but Chelan Lakeshore is supposed to be a really good early season option. I have done Ingalls Creek, that's a good place to get in plenty of miles, fairly scenic, while snow lingers at higher elevations.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Mar 18, 2019 3:48 pm 
You might be able to do nice long trips in the Pasayten Wilderness that time of year. Other possibilities: Chelan Lakeshore, as mentioned Waptus Lake Big Beaver / Little Beaver (although there could still be snow around Beaver Pass) Ross Lake east bank trail

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Mar 19, 2019 8:30 am 
Ha! I am a de facto expert on this. biggrin.gif In the west, if the snow melts off by early June, tall conifers grow to block the view. Up in meadowland, the snow lasts into July or it wouldn't be meadowland. So in general, anywhere above tree line, where the views are good, will be under snow in a normal year. By June, it is blistering hot below lower timberline, in other words in the shrub steppes and deserts. Eric Hansen's tip is the best one I know. The desert mountain ranges often have an elevation that is comfortable in June with good scenery. I was very impressed by the southern slope of the Steens, and there are other options in eastern Oregon as well. Coast hikes can work but beware of our persistent Junuary weather. And lastly, there are a few areas where the geology results in open, scenic terrain at elevations that would otherwise support big conifers. These are areas where serpentine rock is exposed. There are scenic, snow-free hikes in June in the Siskiyou mountains of southern Oregon, south of John Day, and in areas of northern California. Unfortunately our local serpentine areas are mostly up high and under snow in June.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
RichP

RichP
PostTue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 am 
The Blues also tend to melt out fairly early though it's been a big snow year for them too.

Redirect
Redirect

Redirect
Redirect
PostThu May 23, 2019 10:04 am 
I am planning on hiking a 319 mile section of the PCT from the Cascade Locks north to Stevens Pass starting June 14. I am an experience hiker, hiking the AT in 2017 and the JMT last year but I don't know the Washington area. I have a couple of questions: 1. Should I bring an ice axe and MICROspikes? 2. Will snow be an issue? 3. Will creek crossings be an issue? 4. Should I reschedule the hike for a later date? Mid Oct. is the next window available in my schedule.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostThu May 23, 2019 10:22 am 
Redirect wrote:
I am planning on hiking a 319 mile section of the PCT from the Cascade Locks north to Stevens Pass starting June 14. I am an experience hiker, hiking the AT in 2017 and the JMT last year but I don't know the Washington area. I have a couple of questions: 1. Should I bring an ice axe and MICROspikes? 2. Will snow be an issue? 3. Will creek crossings be an issue? 4. Should I reschedule the hike for a later date? Mid Oct. is the next window available in my schedule.
1. Micro spikes yes, ice axe probably could get by without it. IMO 2. There will be snow, if it's an issue depends on you, your skill level and comfort level dealing with snow. 3. I am not familiar with the entire route of the PCT here, but I was up 410 yesterday and all the creeks and rivers are roaring right now. In next month should be better, but still use caution. 4. If I had to choose I would go October. Mosquitoes in mid June on parts of the PCT are going to be brutal, in October after a few cold nights they are not so bad, not as many issues with crossings, and fall weather seems to be more predictable than spring IMO.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu May 23, 2019 10:23 am 
Yes, snow would be an issue at that time, as well as river crossings. And there are sections that are blasted into cliffs and are extremely dangerous before snowmelt (Goat Rocks, Kendall Katwalk and Cathedral Rock come to mind -- all 3 of these spots have killed several people in early summer) so if you are going to attempt it, you'd better be a serious mountaineer. In October it might be snow free, or there might be several feet of fresh snow, and regardless, you are very likely to be in very wet and cold conditions. That time of year has the wettest and windiest weather of any time of year in the Pacific NW.