Forum Index > Trail Talk > Garmin Basecamp Alternatives
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jcocci

jcocci
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 2:29 pm 
Anyone out there have any recommendations for Garmin Basecamp for Mac? I like the software and have used for many years but it runs REALLY slowly on the recent OS versions and I am not sure why. I'd prefer a non-online version of software. Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Mar 13, 2019 7:50 am 
What functions do you want to replicate? Without any more info, Route Buddy would be my initial recommendation for an app with offline maps.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
ejain

ejain
PostWed Mar 13, 2019 10:34 pm 
I looked through this list a while back, but didn't find anything that worked well for me. QMapShack looked most promising, but the map rendering was too slow to be useful to me. It's under active development, so might have improved since... My "requirements" are 1. support for topo maps that work with my Garmin GPSr (like NW Topos and OpenStreetMap), 2. show a large number of tracklogs and custom points of interest at all zoom levels, 3. fast zooming and scrolling, 4. a useful level of detail at all zoom levels, and 5. filtering tracklogs and points of interest based on category or year (ideally also other criteria like distance, elevation gain, and time of year).

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Mar 17, 2019 2:10 am 
I have a "Late 2015" 4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac running MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6) and I'm having no trouble with Basecamp v4.8.3. I have almost 2000 tracks and 6000 waypoints and many base maps (but use one at a time). I have not noticed sluggishness or slowness.