Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Jul 27, 2019 7:07 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Jul 27, 2019 7:29 am 
These were problem bears because people allowed them to get food. Pretty much all bears will exhibit bad behavior if we give them food. The big variable is the people. Black bear accustomed to hiker food culled on AT. New rules for food storage in VT.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 27, 2019 5:41 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
These were problem bears because people allowed them to get food. Pretty much all bears will exhibit bad behavior if we give them food. The big variable is the people. Black bear accustomed to hiker food culled on AT. New rules for food storage in VT.
I did a little section of the AT in NY a couple years ago. One of the shelters in Harriman state park had many warning signs about bears. NB hikers I talked to as I headed S approaching the shelter told me that a bear had come into the shelter during the night sniffing at packs. The bear then climbed one of the food hang trees and "liberated" several food bags. Expecting a repeat performance, I choose to hike a couple miles further and "illegally" camp 200 yards off the AT. Avoiding all the bear fun. Over 5 decades of hiking in the Cascades and Olympics, I've had a bear raid a hung food cache once (on the Olympic coast) Since then I got a lot more organized about how I hang food, but in the last decade, I switched to using an URSACK, which is a lot more convenient.