Forum Index > Trip Reports > Stetattle Ridge (pt 6308) and Sourdough Mountain 3/21/19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Mar 25, 2019 8:25 pm 
silence, RichP, GaliWalker, Stefan, ozzy, thank you so much! Nordique, that is high praise I really appreciate that. I'll probably start a dedicated photography website within the next year or two but nothing official yet. Just 'awilsondc' on all the popular sites (instagram, 500px, flickr...). Thank you again!
Bootpathguy wrote:
Reminds me of my first, "Super", something moon hike. Think it was the "Super Duper Purple Mega Moon" or something like that.
Exactly! I keep waiting for the Super -d- Duper Colossal Dragon Moon of Endor, or the Ginormous Pale Kitten Moon but I guess you gotta just take what you can get, right?! lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Mar 25, 2019 8:58 pm 
Spectacular photos! What special memories you will have from this hike in a full moon. Did you happen to notice if the look ok ut was exposed? In this snow season, I would guess that is is not completely covered li i.m e it is some years. ( it was completely out when I hiked up in January).

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Mar 26, 2019 8:15 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Did you happen to notice if the look ok ut was exposed?
I didn't. I think it was Steph Abegg's report that suggested it was quite a ways away from the true summit and that it was buried when they were there and they couldn't find it. I didn't care to try to since it's quite a bit lower than the true summit and I had no sunglasses. I searched through my pictures from up there and I couldn't see any sign of it.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Mar 26, 2019 8:41 pm 
Aaron, indeed the Sourdough lookout is a ways south of the summit. Steph asked me if it was visible when I hiked to Sourdough in January, and it was definitely standing clear of burial. It isn't really prominent from Sourdough summit, however, so it may be still 'out' now. But this is a minor point compared to the fact that your pictures are phenomenal!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Dr. T

Dr. T
PostThu Apr 18, 2019 12:02 pm 
possibly looking to do this on sunday as an over nighter or maybe two nights...is the winter route up the ridge pretty straigtforward and safe? The crux on the ridge is the only thing concerning me if it gets loose up there. From what i can tell from other reports and a map of their route, you go off the main trail and head north around 3800ft, west of the summer trail. Im waiting on hearing the avalanche conditions from NWAC tomorrow at noon. Any thoughts?

iron

iron
PostThu Apr 18, 2019 12:04 pm 
stay on ridge. stay off cornices. things are as safe as you and the weather and the snowpack make them

Dr. T

Dr. T
PostThu Apr 18, 2019 12:11 pm 
the weather looks pretty great at the moment. sunny and low wind

iron

iron
PostThu Apr 18, 2019 12:13 pm 
Dr. T wrote:
the weather looks pretty great at the moment. sunny and low wind
https://www.nwac.us/

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Apr 18, 2019 8:27 pm 
Dr. T wrote:
Im waiting on hearing the avalanche conditions from NWAC tomorrow at noon. Any thoughts?
I suspect the route should be good by Sunday, although fresh precipitation is expected Thursday night / Friday morning. It's looking like it might be rain for that elevation though, but I'd check and make sure if I were you. It is pretty straight forward and in trees most of the way until you get up on the ridge. There are a couple parts you need to be cautions of and it sounds like you are aware of that. Definitely wait for the avalanche forecast announcement before making the go / no go decision.

Dr. T

Dr. T
PostFri Apr 19, 2019 12:28 pm 
so just read the NWAC report...doesnt sound like i need to alter my plans but just be careful and observe the conditions while im up there...stay away from sagging cornices or be wary of wet and punchy snow. The mountain forcast site has freezing levels at the elevation we will be around so that could reduce avalanche danger.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun May 19, 2019 9:27 am 
awilsondc wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
Reminds me of my first, "Super", something moon hike. Think it was the "Super Duper Purple Mega Moon" or something like that.
Exactly! I keep waiting for the Super -d- Duper Colossal Dragon Moon of Endor, or the Ginormous Pale Kitten Moon but I guess you gotta just take what you can get, right?! lol.gif
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/17/world/blue-moon-trnd-scn/index.html

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun May 19, 2019 10:09 am 
^^^ Blue Flower Moon!!! Awesome! It's not "super" though, which is a bummer. hmmm.gif embarassedlaugh.gif I guess they can't all be super colossal spectacular spectacles of the night sky. rolleyes.gif

TimJJohnson

TimJJohnson
PostWed May 06, 2020 10:23 am 
Nice trip and report, and great photos! Thinking about doing Sourdough this weekend. What kind of conditions do you think I might encounter? Not sure of your route. Is going up the S-Dough trail good for getting to Stetattle Rg? -Tim

Tim J Johnson
TimJJohnson

TimJJohnson
PostWed May 06, 2020 10:25 am 
Nice trip and report, and great photos! Thinking about doing Sourdough this weekend. What kind of conditions do you think I might encounter? Not sure of your route. Is going up the S-Dough trail good for getting to Stetattle Rg? -Tim

Tim J Johnson
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed May 06, 2020 10:32 am 
May want to check access to trailhead. Road has been closed to public. Like at Newhalem. Maybe that’s changed?

When I grow up I wanna play.