Forum Index > Trail Talk > Dispersed camping at Steamboat rock SP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dRoberts

dRoberts
PostSun Mar 24, 2019 8:57 pm 
I'm looking for information about tent camping on top of Steamboat Rock (Steamboat Rock SP). Also, recommendations for relatively snowfree overnight camping options (not Ancient Lakes) within two hours of Ephrata/Quincy.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Rom. 1:20
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dRoberts

dRoberts
PostSun Mar 24, 2019 10:54 pm 
Found my answer; WAC 352-32-030 Camping.(2) No person shall camp in any state park area except in areas specifically designated and/or marked for that purpose or as directed by a ranger.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Rom. 1:20
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Mar 25, 2019 7:36 am 
Check out Barker Canyon, directly across from Steamboat Rock. I haven't camped there for a long time, but it used to be open to dispersed camping. I remember that it is best when it is dry, as the unimproved roads turn to deep muck in the rain. and the camping sucks then too.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 25, 2019 7:38 am 
The park does have a nice walk in/boat in area. It has an excellent beach and is not as popular as the RV/car camping places. The walk/boat area has a pit toilet, pickanick tables, and water spigots. We walk our dogs to that spot which is usually empty during the week and we swim our dogs. I consider that area to be the best beach and it is a good place to stop in a kayak. No rocks and a gradual, sandy lake bottom. To the north? from this spot are the rocky islands that are amusing to kayak around. Just be aware that the lake and surroundings are notorious for strong winds and have your tent well secured where ever you camp.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 25, 2019 11:57 am 
Then there's this. https://www.blm.gov/visit/douglas-creek I do not know how trashed it is, and you may be sharing with cows. There is a lower part but I do not know the condition of that road. The lower part was "discovered" in the 1970s thanks to Sunset, and the trashing began. The last time I was up the creek (crick) the ATV and 4x4s had been doing what they do, there were new tracks in places that I would have preferred not to see tracks. Douglas Cr. will flash flood so should you go, and you see dark clouds up in the Waterville, Douglas, Mansfield area, be sure you have your gear on higher ground. Personally, I would go to the Steamboat SP walk in sites if I were going to tent.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Mar 25, 2019 3:27 pm 
dRoberts

dRoberts
PostTue Mar 26, 2019 2:45 am 
Thanks for all the replies. I read about the boat in areas at Steamboat. I don稚 have a boat of any kind so I ignored those areas. I値l look into them more if you can walk-in.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Mar 26, 2019 6:40 am 
dRoberts wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I read about the boat in areas at Steamboat. I don稚 have a boat of any kind so I ignored those areas. I値l look into them more if you can walk-in.
Yes you can. You park by the boat launch and pack your stuff in. It's maybe a half mile--up and down on a two track road. The maintenance/cleaning people drive in. If you are going soon, you might ask if the water is turned on. The park is open year round but they only keep the water on in the restrooms and at a frost free faucet in the winter. The water to sites is shut off. Forget Douglas Creek. It is flooding right now.

hikermike

hikermike
PostTue Mar 26, 2019 11:38 pm 
You missed an important part.."or as directed by a ranger". Maybe they have suggestions and would allow it if you were hiking in. Also I've "bivouacked" on mtn passes...it,s legal. Just a good bag, little stove and carry out food and water. Just don't light a lantern.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 27, 2019 6:49 am 
Here's what the top of the rock looks like.

mike

mike
PostThu Mar 28, 2019 5:13 pm 
Northrup Canyon ?? Don't know if camping is allowed or not.

RichP

RichP
PostThu Mar 28, 2019 5:16 pm 
mike wrote:
Northrup Canyon ?? Don't know if camping is allowed or not.
A tad wet in there right now. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2019-03-27.2918668860 Seep Lakes might be an option. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7982660&highlight=seep+lks+lakes