Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wilderness Wednesdays - new weekly event on the peninsula
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ErinB

ErinB
PostThu Mar 28, 2019 4:50 pm 
Hi everyone! For those who live on the Olympic peninsula or travel through here, I wanted share a new weekly event in Discovery Bay at Disco Bay Detour, a small all-ages taproom/coffee shop/theater where I bartend Wednesday and Thursday evenings. The event is called Wilderness Wednesdays and is a collaboration between myself and Disco Bay Outdoor Exchange (located in the same building off Hwy 101). I don't get to spend as much time as I used to in the mountains, so this is one way to get to talk about all my favorite places and dream about visiting new ones. I'd love to see some of you there, and knowing the amount of collective wisdom on this site, would also love to hear from anyone interested in offering a presentation! Here's the description: New at the Detour: Wilderness Wednesdays! Every Wednesday starting in April, 6-9pm A Collaboration between Disco Bay Outdoor Exchange and Disco Bay Detour Join former wilderness ranger and current mountain guide Erin Reading for an evening focused on wilderness/outdoor adventure. The intention is to share collective knowledge with one another, build webs of connection amongst various outdoor communities, and have fun delighting in one another's adventure planning, stories, and questions. Everyone is encouraged to bring maps (yay!), trip planning ideas and resources, gear questions, pictures, or whatever else you feel inspired to ask or share. While the foundation of Wilderness Wednesdays is simply a time to gather informally to pour over maps and share stories over drinks, some evenings will also feature a wilderness related presentation or workshop, with topics ranging from surfing, kayaking, backcountry skiing, and mountaineering to backpacking, flyfishing, local botany, and wild foraging. If you have a presentation or workshop you would like to share for one of the weeks (30-45min long presentation, plus some Q & A time) or a topic you would like to hear someone else speak about, contact Erin at erin.b.reading@gmail.com. For both experienced and aspiring outdoor adventurers - all are welcome! Hope to see you there! Weekly presentation topics will be updated here: https://www.facebook.com/events/256503351965303/?event_time_id=256503358631969 Thanks! Erin B

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostThu Mar 28, 2019 6:00 pm 
Thanks for posting. I will have to try to make it there sometime. Maybe combine it with a hike.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Bruce

Bruce
PostFri Mar 29, 2019 7:38 am 
AWESOME!! Wonderful Idea

iron

iron
PostFri Mar 29, 2019 4:25 pm 
we miss our erin b time!

silence

silence
PostFri Mar 29, 2019 6:08 pm 
Live in Edmonds, hope to move over there in the future, in the meantime will definitely stop by if the stars align! Miss you and Bruce on the trail.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
ErinB

ErinB
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 11:02 am 
Would be awesome to see you, Reststep! And look forward to you moving back, Silence. smile.gif Iron, I miss our time together, too...the mainland seems like another country, but I hope we see each other this summer! And for everyone, here's the schedule of talks for the next month in case you're in the area: 4/3: An Olympic Decathlon with Sean Halberg - 7pm start Join Port Angeles born and raised athlete Sean Halberg to watch two short videos showcasing the abundance of outdoor sports practiced on the Olympic Peninsula. Both were filmed for the VideOlympics, a film competition sponsored by the Hurricane Ridge Winter Sports Club. 4/10: Open 4/17: Spring Backcountry Skiing in the Olympics with Marc Downing - 7pm start You might think ski season has passed, but corn skiing is just beginning in the Olympics! Join dedicated Port Townsend backcountry skier Marc Downing for the latest and greatest spots to get some late-season turns! 4/23: Spring Foraging on the Peninsula with Aragorn Deane and Maya Moon - 7:30pm start Focusing on the bounty of the spring in the northwest, learn the basics of foraging and how to identify a variety of wild edibles. We will talk about edibility, medicinal use, and bring in live plants for you to touch, taste, and smell! 5/1: Foraging and Harvesting on Olympic Peninsula's Nearshore with Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife's Nam Siu - 7:30pm start Area Habitat Biologist Nam Siu will lead us on a nearshore adventure, teaching us about identification, spearfishing, harvesting and processing kelp, and harvesting marine inverts (sea urchins, scallops, etc). Prepare to live vicariously through Nam's underwater videos!

reststep

reststep
PostWed Jun 23, 2021 12:51 pm 
ErinB wrote:
New at the Detour: Wilderness Wednesdays! Every Wednesday starting in April, 6-9pm A Collaboration between Disco Bay Outdoor Exchange and Disco Bay Detour
Does anyone know if this is going start back up this year?

Bruce

Bruce
PostFri Jun 25, 2021 8:19 am 
Detrour has been closed...unknown to future Erin is working at ONP backcountry patrol

reststep

reststep
PostFri Jun 25, 2021 8:38 am 
Thanks Bruce. Didn’t know they had closed.