Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ulalach Peak 3/30
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSun Mar 31, 2019 11:42 pm 
Ulalach Peak (5040+) Went up this peak on Saturday to take advantage of the sun and great snow conditions. I parked at a snow berm where resident plowing stops (600ft). I was thinking it would be mostly snow from here, but there was only snow for the shaded flat section before the switchbacks up the hill. I then hiked a snow free road to the trailhead. With a little digging, I could probably have gotten around the berm and would have saved a few miles of road walking, oh well. The Squire Creek road is deteriorating before the current trailhead, and I’m guessing the FS will probably not repair and move the trhd:( There is a posted road closed sign before the trhd. Past the trailhead the snow showed up, and I put on snowshoes and walked to the Boulder Wilderness boundary sign. I then found a good place to head up into Cedar Basin. No snowshoes required going up here in the forest. My line took me to an opening,2700ft, below the base of the rock slabs. I put on snowshoes again here. I had little bit of tedious thin snow over brush and boulders to get back into the trees (I went down a different way). After this it was then pleasant travel up valley. I took off my snowshoes for the final ridge to the summit. The summit of Ulalach offers wonderful views of the surrounding area. I was glad I had started early since the clouds were once again building as the afternoon rolled on. It would sprinkle a little on the hike out. Great day out!
tedious section
tedious section
summit
summit
summit views
summit views
lookout perch
lookout perch

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Apr 01, 2019 12:45 pm 
such a cool trip! great!

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Apr 01, 2019 3:17 pm 
Nice job, Justus. Great shot of the Three Fingers Lookout.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Apr 01, 2019 8:50 pm 
That view of Three Fingers has inspired me to add this one to my to do list. What a gorgeous looking mountain! stun.gif