Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantments in July
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
willnich
NickWill

willnich
NickWill
PostSat Mar 30, 2019 8:51 pm 
So last year I got a pass for Colchuck for August but it was right in the middle of the fire season and due to asthma had to back out. It is still on my bucket list. This year fearing more fires and not wanting a repeat I was lucky enough to finally get a core permit (4 years trying) but for July 9th. I have been reading trip reports and the conditions look like they can be quite variable. I had a few questions if anyone has any experience for this time of year. I am worried about the snow and night time temperatures. First: As far as gear goes I have the whole spectrum from microspikes to snowshoes to cross country skis. I was thinking Kahtoola micospikes and gaiters would do the trick most years in early July. Am I off base? I go snowshoeing regularly but technical stuff is a different ballgame. I saw people mentioning ice axes and got a little nervous. Secondly: I am usually a hammock camper but I am worried about the weather. I use my hammock and a 20 degree outer quilt for casual backpacking and my tent and magma down 10 degree bag for winter camping. Would it be warm enough (and enough trees) to use my outer quilt and bag to hammock camp? I have done this in sheltered areas at below freezing temps but I feel like the wind could pick up pretty well on a bad day up there and make for a miserable night. Thank you all in advance for all of your help I am determined to not let last year be a lifelong regret Nick

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 30, 2019 9:49 pm 
FWIW: The 1st time I visited the Enchanments was over 4th of July weekend. We went in via Colchuck / Asgard pass and camped at the pass (on bare ground). Weather was very fair that year and snowpack typical. We used used ice axes and full shank climbing boots up Asgard, but not crampons, though we carried crampons. Be sure to travel on climbers left and skiers right on Asgard and avoid the center -- Where multiple deaths have occurred due to breaking through snow bridges into the creek. Not a lot of hammock trees above Snow Lakes or Colchuck Lake -- unless you head over to Shield Lake -- which pretty far from the usual areas.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Mar 30, 2019 10:08 pm 
Last time we applied for a pass we won in early June. We had been up many times in years past and had thru hiked a couple years. Colchuck Lake was frozen but open on the edges for night one. Next we headed up to the pass. We headed to the left but it was still slides we finally bailed at the trees about halfway up. The next weekend their was a fatality. Haven’t been back since.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
veronika

veronika
PostSat Mar 30, 2019 10:27 pm 
https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7999990 Of course 6 years ago but typical weather in mid July.

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Mar 30, 2019 10:42 pm 
I would hazard a guess that by July you will not need snowshoes. May be snow on the ground still but it should be consolidated enough to boot it. Microspikes/other traction might be useful, probably depends on time of day you find yourself on the steeper slopes.

willnich
NickWill

willnich
NickWill
PostSun Mar 31, 2019 7:46 am 
Thank you all for all of the great info. Sounds like I should be good with spikes and maybe an ice axe. Though, my plan for using a hammock is more ify. I have been scouring the forums about hammock camping in preparation. How does this sound as far as having trees for hanging a hammock that are robust enough to hold me without damaging the trees. (some of the trees in the pictures look pretty fragile) We would plan to start at Stuart trailhead and out snow. Day 1: Camp at Colchuck Lake Day 2: Camp at Inspiration Lake Day 3: Camp at Leprechuan lake Day 4: Camp at Snow Lake From what I have read there should be enough trees at those camping locations. Is that true? Thank you all again

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Mar 31, 2019 8:02 am 
Here's my trip on 28 June 2012 I think Inspiration might be challenging for a hammock. No problem at the others.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Mar 31, 2019 8:11 am 
I wouldn't want to be hammocking in the core zone--way too limitiing--but that's just me. Inspiration Lake probably has some hangworthy trees, but I'm not a hanger so can't say for sure. Here's looking across at where you'd probably have to camp:
Here's a somewhat brightened zoom to the treed spots:
I think I camped under the biggest tree there (or maybe in the whole basin smile.gif):
Have fun!

yukon222

yukon222
PostSun Mar 31, 2019 8:48 am 
I did a 4 day backpack thru a lot of the Enchantments from July 6 - 9, 2008. Lots of pics of the conditions and terrain in this TR - https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7968348&highlight=grand+tour

willnich
NickWill

willnich
NickWill
PostSun Mar 31, 2019 10:23 am 
Thanks again for all of the info. I love my hammock but may have to settle for a tent if I can't find enough reasonable spots to camp. When I had a Colchuck pass someone suggested hammock camping part way up Aasgard in the trees shown. (thanks whomever I stole the photo from) Is this reasonable? Then we would be closer to the core to start day 2. Thanks again everyone.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Mar 31, 2019 10:47 am 
I've hammocked several times in the enchantments. Not limiting at all. Decent spots almost everywhere. Go for it.

hbb

hbb
PostSun Mar 31, 2019 2:31 pm 
The snowpack is already melting fast, I would expect much of the Core to be bare ground by July. I am not a hammock camper, but it sure seems like there are tons of spots with reasonable sized trees spaced 10’ apart or so over bare ground in the Core. Yeah, at the top of Aassgard, it’s pretty barren, but below that there are lots of trees.

willnich
NickWill

willnich
NickWill
PostSun Mar 31, 2019 5:54 pm 
Sounds good. Thanks for all of the help from everyone. I think two if us will try hammocks and one will go with a tent. Its also good to hear that its melting and we should have good weather by July. I am way too excited for a hike that is still months away. Its going to be a long three months of waiting. I will make sure to post a report to let everyone know how it goes!

schifferj

schifferj
PostSun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 pm 
This is a picture of Lake Vivienne taken on June 20, 2017. Everything above this lake was frozen solid. I used Petzl Lynx Crampons. The standard route (out of the picture to the left) was absolutely unusable. I walked down to the south edge of the lake, onto the frozen lake, and proceeded up the gully on the left side. Seemed to be the standard route for climbers proceeding to Prusik Peak. Fun trip, didn't see a ranger. Camping was, of course, on snow. Aasgard was frozen all the way to the bottom.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Mar 31, 2019 11:19 pm 
Keep an eye out for the resident Walrus, and, if you see The Prius, will you, please! send me a personal message? https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8025828 Thanks much

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want