Previous :: Next Topic  
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead

PCT Class of 2012
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 7:05 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Smoked cheese has been my go to.

I use Dubliner white cheddar from Costco and put it on the wood smoker as low as possible. The low heat and smoke removes a lot of the oil leaving it dry - perfect for hot temps.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
iron
getting old

iron

getting old
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 10:43 am 
i've had cheddar out with me on 8 day trips and it's fine. oily as noted above. i like the taste a bit better; kind of crumbly too.

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude

Marmota olympus
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 3:50 pm 
To absorb some of the oil, I sometimes put a paper towel in the bottom of the ziploc bag. As long as you use wax paper or parchment paper to separate the slices it will not stick to the cheese.

Rumi

--------------
"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Snuffy

Snuffy

PostFri May 03, 2019 6:52 pm 
I have found several good hard cheeses at Trader Joe's that have lasted well on trips but my favorites now are the parmesan Whisps (as mentioned above) and the Sonoma Creamery cheddar bacon "crackers", both found at Costco or Amazon for good prices.  And there is the added benefit of weighing less.  smile.gif

--------------
You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon

PostMon May 06, 2019 10:32 pm 
Aaaah it'll be fine

--------------
i ALWAYS camp at the upper lake!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat

Turtle Hiker
PostMon May 13, 2019 4:54 am 
What you want is the cheese already encased in wax,  just about every grocery store has some varieties usually gouda sometimes cheddar which is preferable as a harder cheese than the waxed gouda generally available in U.S.  I've carried these on 6-7 day trips just fine in the summer.

Have also used the babybel's mentioned, but they're not a very efficient way to carry cheese on a long trip - too small, each tiny cheese wheel is individually wrapped.  But it is a softer cheese that will keep inside the wax.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Food & Grub > cheese in June in ONP
  Happy Birthday outdoorgirl, wildernessed!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: