Forum Index > Trail Talk > Duckabush TH Vandals
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 2:55 pm 
This has been passed around on social media, but in case you missed it, a hiker had their tires stolen from their car at the Duckabush TH over the weekend. Another had gas siphoned from their vehicle, and other cars had smashed windows. link Always wondered why that trailhead attracts crooks. I remember someone's car was torched there a few years back.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 3:02 pm 
shakehead.gif That's a new one, never seen the tires stolen before. That's more time consuming than a smash and grab, brazen criminals. That just disgusts me. Haven't heard anything recently but for a while gas being siphoned from tanks was a problem at THs in The Gorge east of Portland. Thieves suck.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 3:34 pm 
Maybe that happened at night? I used to think thieves that hit remote trailheads must live fairly close, but then they caught that couple that was hitting trailheads all over the northern olys a year or two ago. Anyway, our two resident apologists for criminals will be along to tell us all to just drive a beater car and leave the windows open. Then they will sternly lecture us on the dangers and illegality of vigilantism.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 4:38 pm 
That's pretty low there. What's next? Stripping down cars for their parts.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 4:49 pm 
Brinnon Banditios strike again! Maybe the motivation isn't profit from fencing car parts, but discouraging the 206/425 hordes from partaking of Duckbush delights.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 4:50 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
Maybe that happened at night? I used to think thieves that hit remote trailheads must live fairly close, but then they caught that couple that was hitting trailheads all over the northern olys a year or two ago. Anyway, our two resident apologists for criminals will be along to tell us all to just drive a beater car and leave the windows open. Then they will sternly lecture us on the dangers and illegality of vigilantism.
up.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 5:00 pm 
That took some equipment too. You don't just loosen the lug nuts.

meck

meck
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 5:34 pm 
I had my fuel siphoned while parked at that TH a couple years back. I always kinda worry about the WTA trail work party... someone from that group always seems to get their fuel siphoned... I hope the victims reported it to Jefferson Cty Sheriff's dept (they had a handy "crime report" form to submit on their website when I had fuel stolen). Obviously reporting it won't help the victim much, but at least it can shine a spot light on the problem area (trail cams can't be that expensive to setup right? Just wait for a report and see what pops-up from that time period... maybe tag all of the license plate numbers that pass by the road then check 'em one by one).

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 6:01 pm 
Hesman wrote:
This is why I have not hiked the Duckabush
Add the Mountain Loop Trailheads. A couple of destinations I'd really like to visit, but, not worth the risk of vehicle damage. Lots f other places I can visit, but it's still very sad that his is something that determines my outdoor adventures

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
neek

neek
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 6:42 pm 
Hope police are taking this seriously - you can drive out with a broken window, but not without wheels. I'm not a fan of surveillance but in this case feel it's more than warranted. Maybe time for a gofundme. Also it's a good idea to block out license plates when posting car photos on social media. Don't want to make these people's lives even worse.

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 7:54 pm 
I was there Friday through Sunday. The parking area was glittery with fresh glass so was bracing for impact when I came out. Sure enough the trail was abuzz with the news. This happened on Saturday night because Saturday arrivals did not report anything. Now, having visited the charms of the Duck for over 20 years, I am all too familiar with the devoted "night shift" work being done here. After losing a window, a battery, and some gas over the years I have a strategy that minimizes losses: nothing of value inside; removed stereo face plate; all hiding areas open and revealed; doors unlocked for inspection; leave less than 1/4 tank gas; club across steering wheel; battery chained to the chassis AND hood cable-locked down. However, I really don't have a defense against tire thieves. My rig was "inspected" but they were nice enough to check the door first. They did fancy my front floor mats, an old WA state Gazetteer, burned CDs (enjoy those playlists boys), an axe, some flares, and a couple gallons of gas. Not much more I can do to lower my profile. I can say this takes the fun out of it for me at this TH mad.gif Unless there is enduring law enforcement action here, I care not to return to The Duck.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 9:08 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Add the Mountain Loop Trailheads. A couple of destinations I'd really like to visit, but, not worth the risk of vehicle damage. Lots f other places I can visit, but it's still very sad that his is something that determines my outdoor adventures
Also anywhere in the North Cascades. Pilchuck is safe though. wink.gif

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 9:55 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
Also anywhere in the North Cascades. Pilchuck is safe though. wink.gif
Yeah I been hearin' bad things out of the north casc's of late!! Several horror stories coming out of highway 20 trailheads!

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 12:10 pm 
[quote="BigBrunyon"]
Cyclopath wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
Add the Mountain Loop Trailheads. wink.gif
Yeah I been hearin' bad things out of the north casc's of late!! Several horror stories coming out of highway 20 trailheads!
Like, very recently, since this trio was caught? Not that I think arresting three people solves crimes at those trailheads forever, but just wondering if there's been another very recent cluster of crimes. https://www.heraldnet.com/northwest/3-from-snohomish-county-arrested-in-trailhead-break-ins/

RichP

RichP
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 4:52 pm 
The WTA has a multi-day work party there at the end of the month. That would be a bummer to be out there volunteering and come back to a trashed car. mad.gif