Forum Index > Trail Talk > Thunder Mountain lakes question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Apr 08, 2019 6:16 am 
My two cents on the Mill Cr. road: Not worth it. I got my Subaru to within a half mile of the end, but I hated every bone-jarring minute of it. shakehead.gif I measured 40 minutes from when I crossed Stevens to when I finally parked my car (what, two miles away??), and I still had an ugly half mile to go. Had I just parked at Stevens and started up the PCT from there, I would have been hiking instead of bruising my bum on that horrible road. frown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Apr 08, 2019 9:32 am 
Yea the less people up Mill cr road the better up.gif

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon Apr 08, 2019 10:08 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
My two cents on the Mill Cr. road: Not worth it. I got my Subaru to within a half mile of the end, but I hated every bone-jarring minute of it. shakehead.gif I measured 40 minutes from when I crossed Stevens to when I finally parked my car (what, two miles away??), and I still had an ugly half mile to go. Had I just parked at Stevens and started up the PCT from there, I would have been hiking instead of bruising my bum on that horrible road. frown.gif
Actually you drove about 10 miles from Pass. It's 5 miles from Pass to Mill Ck road, then 4 miles on the good road, i.e., to just before the base of the lifts, where a fork to left goes up to PCT and power lines. This is the part of the road that used to be rough, but a few years ago when Stevens redid one of the lifts they fixed up that road to get equipment up there. I haven't been there in summer since then so I don't know condition now, but the shortcut trail to Susan Jane is only a couple hundred yards from fork. You could park at fork and walk up to there in 10 minutes.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Apr 09, 2019 7:25 am 
CC wrote:
I haven't been there in summer since then
huh.gif They "fixed" it with rocks, not gravel. And there are washouts. And it is steep. It's no doubt fine is a Big Yellow Machine. The point I was making about distance is that by the time you get up towards the top of the Mill Creek Road, you are less than two miles from where you could have parked at Stevens Pass. And then just walked there on the PCT, like the two guys I envied who told me they had done just that.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Apr 11, 2019 6:17 pm 
Just PM the forest gnome, he has been there and is an excellent cook and guide...but you MUST be a follower not a leader, and have a high level of tolerance for repetitive BS. clown.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.