Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt. Saul / Airplane Lake / Amber Creek / Indian Creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HighRidge

HighRidge
PostSat Apr 06, 2019 11:13 am 
Hi All! I finally became a member of the site. I have been a long time lurker of the trip reports and they have guided me to fantastic places in central Washington. Great info to be had here! Im curious about this area of the Glacier Peak Wilderness. Ive viewed if from a far, but never had made time to explore the area. I have really enjoyed cross-country trips and getting away from trails and people. Looking at trail maps and trip reports, it seems this area has what i like. I also love viewing and studying wildlife in our mountains. From marmots to goats. It is really the main reason i begun high country hiking years ago. I keep a running journal of the habitat they prefer and the animals i see. How is this area for wildlife? Im assuming bears are abundant because i often see bears in the GPW. How about mule deer? The elusive high country mule deer has become a favorite of mine to watch and observe. True high country ghosts. I think thats what I love about them so much. Any anecdotal stories of wildlife in this area will be appreciated! Cant wait for winter to be over to get up there. Thanks! HighRidge

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Apr 06, 2019 3:16 pm 
I've been there a few times, but don't recall major wildlife sightings. But ya never know. Bears and deer frequent all over the Cascades.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Apr 07, 2019 8:19 am 
Very cool video posted last summer from a NWHiker member who captured a pair of wolverines in Glacier Peak Wilderness High country mule deer will be seen north & south of the Methow Valley. Pasayten & Chelan Sawtooths. I've read the wolves over there are pushing them to higher elevations Moose also spotted north & south of Methow Valley

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
RichP

RichP
PostSun Apr 07, 2019 9:59 am 
If you go when the slopes are full of ripe blueberries you'll no doubt see many bears in that area.

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:25 am 
Deer are few and far between in that area you mentioned. Come Sept there is a ton of High hunters in that area and it just becomes a camping trip for them with little success. Bears are there especially during the berry season, but wouldn't say they are all over the place.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:35 am 
Mt. Saul / Airplane Lake in the Fall

Living in the Anthropocene
HighRidge

HighRidge
PostMon Apr 08, 2019 12:42 pm 
Thanks for all the responses guys!

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostThu Apr 11, 2019 6:56 am 
Greeting ..gpw has always been one of my favorites and i used to backpack there alot..access is a bit more difficult now with trails gone and road washouts..guess the 80s and 90s were the good times. Not so many people and it is an area i always counted on seeing bears..sometimes many. Not so many deer, lots of marmots in some places and i was privileged to see a pine marten close up too..still an amazing place when u leave the pct. Enjoy

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams