Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > recommendations for attorney for living will, end of life, trust set up near seattle
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostWed Mar 27, 2019 11:03 pm 
subject line says it all. looking for recommendations if anyone here has used someone for the elements and were pleased with the level of service for the given pricing. thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 28, 2019 8:19 am 
We found this attorney very efficient dealing with some of my mom and dad's affairs -- particularly dealing with the state and the department of vetrans affairs. Sean R. Bleck Isenhour Bleck PLLC 1200 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2020 Seattle, WA 98101 (206) 340-2200 sean@isenbleck.com www.isenbleck.com I have an anti-recommendation for John S Palmer in Bellevue -- we used him for drawing up standard wills and DPOA for my mom and dad -- it took him 3 months for very standard documents -- which is why we switched to Sean when things got more complicated.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Mar 28, 2019 11:20 am 
Iron...if your documents are not super complicated, you might want to try Willmaker by Nolo. It is a book and computer CD that walks one through all the necessities of creating these documents. You will, afterwards, need witnesses and notary public to make it all legal. Much cheaper than a lawyer. You could always hire one afterwards to check your documents if you choose. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Mar 28, 2019 9:22 pm 
A good friend worked with Doug Phillips over many years for estate planning including setting up a trust; he was very satisfied. It's all Phillips does. Phillips Estate Law

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostThu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 pm 
Minor children are involved go to a good lawyer. Afraid I can’t help you with a recommendation though. Realize that wills need to be updated as your circumstances change. Your assets, or your thoughts on who is to take custody of your children in the event if you and your wife’s untimely demise. Don’t just wing it as it’s pretty amazing how ugly these things can get if you don’t have it mapped out.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Mar 29, 2019 8:29 am 
If you have substantial assets I recommend a good CPA for estate planning. The tax implications can be substantial for even such a seemingly insignificant action such as having an IRA go into your estate rather than beneficiaries. Most lawyers except incompetent or corrupt ones can write a decent will and community property agreement after going to a CLE. If you are considering trusts competent advice is essential. I would avoid estate advice from brokers or anyone who has a financial interest in investments. You should never use an attorney who suggest themselves as personal representative or trustee.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostFri Mar 29, 2019 12:58 pm 
up.gif Yea as it was explained to me trusts are often being oversold these days. Depending on how it’s structured, what state your in and how recently updated trusts can result in crazy stupid administrative costs to your estate.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 29, 2019 2:17 pm 
Adohrn wrote:
up.gif Yea as it was explained to me trusts are often being oversold these days. Depending on how it’s structured, what state your in and how recently updated trusts can result in crazy stupid administrative costs to your estate.
Washington state estate taxes only apply to estates in excess of $2.193 million, setting up a trust costs thousands.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Mar 29, 2019 3:41 pm 
Oregon on the other hand has a 9% Death tax on estates over 1 million, not that much by today’s standards. It applies to WA residents if the property is in Oregon.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Apr 01, 2019 12:12 pm 
+1 Isenhour Bleck. Jacob Menashe is also good. https://www.hickmanmenashe.com/jacob-h-menashe/ There's lots of decent ones, and a few attorneys in the area who will charge you a lot of time and money to put your name in a form.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Apr 01, 2019 8:55 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Oregon on the other hand has a 9% Death tax on estates over 1 million, not that much by today’s standards. It applies to WA residents if the property is in Oregon.
Fair enough. For estates below such valuations sometimes trusts can be useful. Answering such questions with precision is what you need an attorney for -- is there something like "Angie's List" for attorneys? If there is is it filled with "paid for" reviews?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Apr 01, 2019 9:30 pm 
Traditionaly there was Martindale Hubble which rated attorneys but their “ratings” are based on supposed peer recommendations but are a you rate me a v and I will rate you. They heavily favor large firms with lots of associates. There are newer rating services but they all accept ads. Like Yelp the ratings are often dominated by those with a grudge and shills but with even less oversight than Yelp. The best way is to ask an attorney friend. The Washington State Bar Association does not rate attorneys and even keeps discipline decisions pretty much hidden from the public unless they really search. So it goes.

mb

mb
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 3:10 pm 
note that Angies List also has no oversight. even though it has a paid for by the person reading the review plan, they will pull negative reviews from advertisers also. yes, they have advertisers.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 11:01 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Washington state estate taxes only apply to estates in excess of $2.193 millio
That would be per person, so for a married couple, the exemption would be $4.386 million.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Apr 08, 2019 6:14 pm 
I don't have any specific recommendations for you since I'm out of state, but I will say this: As someone who is in the throes of being the executor/personal representative of my mom's estate, I cannot stress enough to be very thorough & complete w/as much as you can now in order to spare your children/heirs lots of headache/stress. & not just with financial stuff, but a big component is the amount of tangible stuff you keep. In other words, try to downsize as you approach your later years in order to reduce the amount of furniture, 30-yr old tax returns, broken toys, dusty garage equipment, etc. etc. that you leave behind for some unfortunate person to go through. embarassedlaugh.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.