Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cub Peak (ONP) 3/30/19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 pm 
I was really looking for a trip close to home for this weekend, and Cub and Copper in the Olympic Mountains by Staircase were looking like the most appealing options. I was hoping to catch sunrise and maybe some stars so I left early. I got to Lake Cushman around 3:15 and stopped by those rocks everyone jumps off of in summer to see if the Milky Way was out. It was a little bit early to see much of it, and time was wasting so I headed in search of the trailhead. Staircase is closed until Memorial Day 2019 so I had to find the Shady Lane Trail. I kind of expected the trailhead to be just across the bridge, but it wasn't so I turned right and found a "no pets" post heading in the direction the trail was on the map so I parked there and took it. Turned out to be the right one. There was a lot of construction equipment scattered around Staircase. Huge rolls of plastic stuff, and heavy equipment. I hiked up the Wagonwheel Lake Trail and didn't encounter any snow until the flatish basin just before the clearing and avalanche zone, ~3800 ft. A few steps into the clearing I chose to put on crampons. There was a firm crust, but with just crampons there was a lot of post holing. The terrain was steep enough side hill I figured snowshoes would just slide down the crust and make things more difficult so I went with crampons and axe which I feel was a good choice. Later in the day when the snow was soft, snowshoes probably would have been better. Near the lake I crossed the outlet stream and started heading up hill. There were patches melted out, the snow that was exposed to the most sun had a firm supportive crust, and the snow that had been in the shade was post hole city. I reached the false summit of Cub Peak just in time for sunrise. There were no clouds in the sky so it was just ok.
Lake Cushman jumping rocks
Lake Cushman jumping rocks
first views
first views
dawn
dawn
reaching the false summit
reaching the false summit
Cub peak at dawn
Cub peak at dawn
Cruiser
Cruiser
tracks
tracks
from Cub Peak false summit
from Cub Peak false summit
sunrise selfie
sunrise selfie
I spent some time admiring the views and taking photos. The golden hour light was magnificent over Copper Mountain and really drew my eye. Soon, I departed for the true summit of Cub. It was a fun combination of steep side hill on firm snow, snowy ridge walking, and rocky ridge scrambling. It was a fun little scamper over to the true summit. I kind of expected to be able to see people on Ellinor, and I kept looking and never did. On my way back I took some pictures of the silver snags that were up there.
Copper Mountain
Copper Mountain
golden light on Copper
golden light on Copper
Snowy Pillows of Golden Light
Snowy Pillows of Golden Light
Washington and Ellinor
Washington and Ellinor
Cub Peak true summit
Cub Peak true summit
Copper from Cub
Copper from Cub
Pershing from Cub
Pershing from Cub
silver snag 1
silver snag 1
silver snag 2
silver snag 2
silver snag 3
silver snag 3
I was going to climb Copper Mountain too but I̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶z̶y̶ I had stuff to do back in town. The way back was a pain in the ***, quite literally. I slipped and landed on my left glut directly on a knobby root. I guess I needed a little extra training in the suffering department, but after 10 minutes it wasn't so bad. I passed one solo hiker on the Wagonwheel Lake Trail and a couple families on the Shady Lane Trail. There were a couple patches of snow along the Shady Lane Trail (~800 ft), it's that shady!!! Great exercise, and a nice day in the mountains!
Wagonwheel Lake
Wagonwheel Lake
looking up
looking up
trail views on the way back
trail views on the way back
Construction Equipment
Construction Equipment
Shady Lane
Shady Lane
Big Tree
Big Tree

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostThu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 pm 
Nice Dood! I did Cub and Copper last year but it was mid season. It's pretty sweet to see them with snow!! Awesome pics man!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Apr 05, 2019 5:19 am 
awilsondc wrote:
All that beautiful snowy mountain scenery up top, but I like this photo the most. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
silence

silence
PostFri Apr 05, 2019 7:02 am 
It's hard to find a good vantage point for sunrise in the Olympics ... but you nailed it. Nice work and great photos as always.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Apr 07, 2019 9:00 am 
Thanks ozzy, silence! I'm with you GaliWalker, that's one of my favorite trail shots I've taken I think. I don't naturally see those scenes as well, but trying to work on that part of my photography. That pic really captures the feel of the trail though, I was happy it turned out!

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSun Apr 07, 2019 10:46 am 
Those photographs are stunning. Thanks for sharing.

silence

silence
PostSun Apr 07, 2019 1:00 pm 
Our "Achilles Heel" regarding speed has always been our obsession with the details along the way. Sometimes something will catch an eye, and one of us will stop while the other continues on, or vice versa, or we might both stop to indulge. That's why we usually do at least an overnighter, if not more, so we can enjoy the journey and then also be there for the sunset and sunrise from camp. That being said, your sunrise shots caught my attention so much so that I totally missed the forest image ... one I most assuredly would have stopped for as well. Weird. Anyhow, I do agree with y'all ... it is magical. If you want to hone your skills, I suggest hitting the Hoh in May when the Big Leaf maples are leafing out ... miles of lowland rainforest to tempt you ... with no mountains a calling. Head out early to catch the best light. But, on the return, whenever that may be, there will still be special rewards. There are BC camps along the trail if you don't want to car camp. And, be sure to wander a little off trail too ... you will find some hidden gems.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Apr 08, 2019 6:41 am 
awilsondc wrote:
I'm with you GaliWalker, that's one of my favorite trail shots I've taken I think. I don't naturally see those scenes as well, but trying to work on that part of my photography. That pic really captures the feel of the trail though, I was happy it turned out!
For me, it took a move to the east coast, where most hikes are in the forest and viewpoints are few and far between, before I began to improve that part of my photography. While forest scenery was always on offer in my Washington days, I would be in too much of a rush to get to the 'good stuff' to make use of it. I think all of us here feel the impact of a beautiful forest, like the one in your photo, but being able to portray the much subtler beauty in a photograph can be quite challenging.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Apr 08, 2019 6:55 am 
HermitThrush, thank you!
silence wrote:
Our "Achilles Heel" regarding speed has always been our obsession with the details along the way.
Photography really does slow you down, huh! But, in a good way. My last couple summit stays have been around 2 hours, which is quite a long time. Of course that's spent waiting for sunrise and taking pictures as the light changes. I quite like it. You work so hard to get up there it's nice to have something to do up there that gives you the opportunity to get to know the place a bit better. Sure beats having a quick snack and heading down after 20 minutes which I've done hundreds of times, but there are definitely trips where the light and fast mind set makes the most sense too. GaliWalker, you've been getting quite good at those kinds of shots! I'll have to go through some of your TR's for some inspiration. biggrin.gif

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Apr 08, 2019 3:29 pm 
Lovely photos all, but I feel as Galiwalker does - that forest photo really stood out as a "mood" shot. It's challenging to get a good composition in the trees, too. up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostTue Apr 09, 2019 7:57 am 
Sunrise selfie!, good vibes, & nice report! cool.gif

Kenji

Kenji
PostTue Apr 09, 2019 12:45 pm 
Always impressed by your super-AM trips. Lovely pic of stars with nice foreground: