Forum Index > Trail Talk > Tips for Eastern WA Backpacking?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pula58

pula58
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 2:01 pm 
The weather on West slopes and East slopes of the Cascades is looking, how shall we say, rather damp and cold for this coming weekend. I am wondering if there are any decent overnight backpacking (Not car camping) trips somewhere well East of the Cascades in WA? Any tips would be most welcome! Thanks, P.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
markweth

markweth
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 3:48 pm 
The DNR land around Yakima might work for you. There is a campsite a few miles up Roza Creek (the Bird Song Tree) that is pretty delightful. If you park at the trailhead coming in from Selah (Buffalo Road, I think) and then hike the Yakima Skyline to Roza Creek and camp it is a pretty nice trip. You could either just do an in-and-out as an overnight or leave your camp set up and explore around then hike out the following day.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 4:10 pm 
I'm pretty sure you can camp in Umtanum canyon. It's BLM land and this is the best time of year to go there. You could go way east, and hit the Selkirks, or the Blue Mountain canyons, like Wenaha or the Tucannon.

RichP

RichP
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 4:19 pm 
The Blues and Selkirks are still deeply buried in snow. Many rivers were above flood stage yesterday over here and more rain is predicted for the area tomorrow and the weekend. Umtanum Ridge Crest or Yakima Skyline Ridge seem like good options though. Dusty and Ancient Lakes are quite popular right now too. The Potholes area is a neat place to explore and there are many migratory birds there right now. The Saddle Mtns are close too.

schifferj

schifferj
PostThu Apr 11, 2019 10:12 am 
This time of the year I always head down to Hell's Canyon. I start my hike at the Pittsburg Landing Trailhead and head south to Kirkwood Ranch. The ranch is a nice place to camp and there's a lot of history to be seen at the old ranch site. From the ranch you can head on south to Suicide Point and all the way to Sheep Creek. It's six miles to Kirkwood (give or take a little) and another nine miles to Sheep Creek. Depending on the river level you may not be able to make it down to Suicide point without going off trail and and up as there is one low point along the trail. I love this hike and make a point of going at least one time a year.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Apr 11, 2019 2:40 pm 
JVesquire wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can camp in Umtanum canyon.
The big sign in the parking lot says otherwise. Presumably if you go far enough either no one would care or you would be past the restricted area. But there are not many flat campsites with water up there. Ancient Lakes and Babcock Bench are the go-to places for backpacking down low on the east side. North from Vantage and south from Malaga into the Colockum also work. Yakima Skyline can be done as a multi-day hike.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
pula58

pula58
PostFri Apr 12, 2019 8:02 pm 
Thanks for sharing all this info folks, much obliged!