Forum Index > Trip Reports > $ Creek Road 4-12-2019
Previous :: Next Topic  
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 9:52 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Decided to go check out the road conditions & snow elevations for a planned early spring adventure.

Pretty day with intermittent sun breaks.

I think this road is going to take constant maintenance and repairs. It was repaired just last year and now needs another.

Road scoured and the new asphalt gravel washed away

Last year's repair

Same spot & before last year's repair

Alot of money has been spent on this road. Very nice concrete spillway

The nemesis of this road? The steep south face of Crosby Mountain and it's not doing this road any favors

Things you'll find following snow melt waterfalls into the forest

Ancient puncheon to somewhere / nowhere

Other simple beauties

Lots of mountain lion tracks

Fun little stroll

--------------
Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RichP

RichP

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 12:23 pm 
It may be time to let this road go. It could easily turn into money pit road. There are enough attractions up there that it could be a fine biking and hiking route a la nearby West Fork Miller River..

--------------
Without obsession, life is nothing. John Waters
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
fourteen410

fourteen410

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 3:14 pm 
RichP wrote:
It may be time to let this road go. It could easily turn into money pit road. There are enough attractions up there that it could be a fine biking and hiking route a la nearby West Fork Miller River..

I'm usually not a proponent of this, but I agree. Every time I've been there (on foot), it seems worse.

Not to mention it would help preserve some of the artifacts out there...
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
iron
getting old

iron

getting old
PostSat Apr 13, 2019 9:18 pm 
that culvert was clearly undersized. and poorly constructed. no wonder it washes out.

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr

Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Apr 13, 2019 10:49 pm 
Thanks for this report. Although it's disappointing to see the road damage, it's an interesting reminder of the wild and steep terrain these roads are built through. Also loved the photos of the old puncheon -- is that close to the road?

--------------
Mid Fork Rocks flickr
Sculpin

Sculpin

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 5:44 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Alot of money has been spent on this road. Very nice concrete spillway
nemesis of this road? The steep south face of Crosby Mountain and it's not doing this road any favors

Reminds me of the Deer Creek Road off the MLH.  An elaborate concrete spillway just like this one is now a hanging spillway.  The debris flows over the road are ten feet deep in places.  The slope above was just too steep and big for a road.   shakehead.gif

I wonder if there are mine-to-market regulations that require the FS to keep roads like this open.

--------------
Even my best friends, they don't know, that my job is turning lead into gold. When you hear that engine drone, I'm on the road again, and I'm searching for the philosopher's stone - Van Morrison
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 9:14 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Also loved the photos of the old puncheon -- is that close to the road?

Not far off the road. 50 yards maybe, upslope / north side and runs parallel with $ Creek Road. Somewhere between Kimball Creek & that concrete spillway. Don't remember exactly where

--------------
Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 10:38 pm 
These 'pproach roads are where you gotta observe conditions and then drive fast so it doesn't slide on ya. Kind of like climbin' under big ice in the 8k scene.

--------------
i'm better at hiking than most everyone!!! and i know it!!!
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > $ Creek Road 4-12-2019
Jump to:   
Search this topic: