Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Grizzly bear euthanized
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri May 03, 2019 12:31 pm 
Grizzly bear euthanized near Helmville, Montana. Montana fish, wildlife & parks euthanized a sub-adult male grizzly bear in accordance with interagency grizzly bear committee guidelines, due to livestock depredations. post quoted from silver state post deer lodge mt 5/1/19

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DadFly

DadFly
PostFri May 24, 2019 9:35 pm 
Back in 88 I was working for the forest service out of Monture Station near Ovando. We had been out in the woods for about 6 days and were on our way back tired and hungry. Came arouund a bend and about 50 yards away were two medium sized bears ambling our way. With the wind in our faces we knew we had not been detected and backed around the corner to climb trees. There were two of us and two of them. We also didn't want to leave food for them so we hauled our packs and one pulaski each into the tree. Good thing. They were on to us as soon as they came around the corner. Looking and sniffing and definately not being shy about it. They came right over to our tree and one started climbing. Damn fast! I whacked the tree with my pulaski and yelled like I was gonna skin him alive. He stopped climbing and sniffed. I whacked again and he climbed down slowly. They both rooted around a bit and seemed kind of pissed off. Then they ambled off up the trail into the wilderness. We climbed down after about 30 minutes. Hiked quickly to the truck and called in at our 3:00 check in time. First thing my boss said was "Watch out for two grizzly yearlings they just released up that way. They were tranquilized and are pretty crotchety when they come to." Thanks boss. It was a drought year and they were starving. Their mom took them down into the flats out of pure desperation. She broke into a cabin and was shot later the next day. The cubs ran off toward Helmville and were tracked down, tranquilized and dropped about a mile down hill of our truck (unbeknownst to the friendly game wardens). I found what may have been one the next year in the Cabin creek fire. It was badly burned and barely alive. I felt like dispatching it with my pulaski was the only merciful thing to do. Maybe the other one will do the same for me some day.

"May you live in interesting times"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message