Forum Index > Gear Talk > I'm Starting To Realize
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 6:42 pm 
The best hiking gear is hunting & fishing gear Kuiu Sitka Simms Don't think I'll buy anymore Arcteryx or Mountain Hardwear. I still like Mammut & Outdoor Research but my Kuiu gear is as good, if not better than, my Arcteryx

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 6:55 pm 
A huge +1 up.gif for the Kuiu pants. I have bought three pairs (in two different sizes) in the past few months. My winter size is so I can include a base layer under them and not have them pull on my legs while hiking. Also, I am amazed how many people ask about them when I wear them around.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 10:00 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
A huge +1 up.gif for the Kuiu pants. I have bought three pairs (in two different sizes) in the past few months. My winter size is so I can include a base layer under them and not have them pull on my legs while hiking. Also, I am amazed how many people ask about them when I wear them around.
Have 4 pairs of Kuiu pants. Very, very comfortable. Same! Folks ask about mine all the time. Length ( inseam ) has been a huge issue for me with other brands. Often times too short. Not with Kuiu. If you're tall and have problems finding pants, go with Kuiu. And I really like my Sitka hoodies

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 12:39 am 
25-30 years ago I used a lot of bicycling and running clothing when backpacking. That's where the best technical clothing was being produced back then. That is not the case anymore. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Dec 24, 2020 6:58 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
And I really like my Sitka hoodies
Yeah, they look nice. The Sitka Gradient fleece hoody weighs more than an ArcTeryx insulated Alpha expedition climbing jacket (probably one of the best foul weather mountaineering jackets in the world today). But the Sitka hoody is $700 cheaper!

General ****

General ****
PostThu Dec 31, 2020 10:29 pm 
I agree, the best pants I have ever owned are my Kuiu "Attack Pants"....

The General primarily backpacks solo.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 9:39 am 
I've never loved any of my Outdoor Research gear.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 5:19 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I've never loved any of my Outdoor Research gear.
I have a pair of OR Rocky Mtn High Gaiters that I think are just about the best gaiters I have ever owned. Not sure if that qualifies as "love" but I have a warm place in my heart for them. Anyway, it all depends on what activities one regularly enjoys which determines the suitability of particular clothing gear items. Also particular body shape and personal preferences play a big part. For technical clothing I have found that hunting/fishing manufacturers do not suit my needs and preferences. I suppose if I did hunt and fish I would look for crossover tech clothing that worked for backpacking as well. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 9:08 pm 
I pretty much agree BPG. I've never owned any Mountain Hardwear gear - it always looked overly-complicated and over-priced. The only item of Arcteryx I have is my go-to 4-season daypack - and it was a gift. I doubt I would have swallowed the purchase price, but I have to say, it has been an awesome pack and has held up very well after many years of frequent use. Rumi - I have similar OR gators and they have been great. I like the functionality and they have held up to decades of use. The only other OR kit I own are some over-mits which I have never used anywhere but Alaska. I will spend the extra money on high-end packs, tents, climbing hardware, and shoes/boots. Everything else, I go as cheap as possible and I treat clothing as "disposable" - if it blows out, rips, tears, I don't mind. I tend to avoid anything that has a Gore-Tex hangtag.