Forum Index > Food & Grub > Extra Freeze-Dried Pouches (for subdividing a freeze-dried meal)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ainmsiul81

ainmsiul81
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 5:11 am 
Can you buy empty pouches for freeze-dried food? This would be for when you are hiking with a child, and a large freeze-dried meal contains two servings. The idea would be to open the pouch containing the freeze-dried meal and then pour half the contents into a second (empty) pouch, then add hot water to each pouch. We also need more space (two pouches) because we add freeze-dried veggies to each (divided) meal, and there is no extra room for veggies in most one-serving pouches. I cannot add veggies to the single pouch and then re-hydrate the whole thing in one pouch (and then divide the cooked meal) - not enough room in the one pouch. Thanks. Mac

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 9:59 am 
Yes Many people repackage into freezer bags and then use a cozy to keep it hot. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 10:09 am 
However, in most 2 person meal bags there IS plenty of extra space. Mess wise, it is easier to do this, then divide the meal into a freezer bag as a "bowl" cuffed down. The problem with dividing commercial meals before drying is getting the portions equal, including all the powders. You can do it, but doing it on trail is a pain. If a single serving meal is being used, then just put it all in a freezer bag and carry on.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
hkergrl

hkergrl
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 8:00 pm 
I used these over the summer and liked them a lot. They're bags made for subdividing commercial meals or if you make your meals at home. They sealed fine with my food saver. https://www.bushkaskitchen.com/collections/freeze-dried-food/products/cook-in-dried-food-bag