Forum Index > Trip Reports > Deer Park via Deer Ridge Trail (ONF & ONP) 04-25-2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 9:35 am 
Armed with a benign weather forecast for no rain and mostly cloudy skies, DaveB and I arrived at the TH parking lot for the Deer Ridge Trail under semi-blue skies and sunny conditions around 9:15 AM. There were no other cars at the parking lot.
Deer Ridge TH 04-25-2019
Deer Ridge TH 04-25-2019
We got underway promptly, as the blue skies started to turn milky white from an incoming layer of translucent high overcast. Facing a fairly arduous early-season hike of about 10 miles round trip and about 3000 feet of vertical gain, I had opted to leave my usual 14 pound burden of photography gear at home and instead carry a cheap, lightweight point and shoot camera. Operator error and camera limitations would be taxed to the max by the luminous sky, I suspected, with snowy mountaintops almost invisible due to blending into the white sky. As it turned out, had to convert a number of photos to black and white to get enough contrast to show where the mountains were. After about 800 feet of vertical gain, we stopped a few minutes to admire the views to the southeast of the ridge from Tyler Peak to Mount Baldy.
Tyler Peak from Deer Ridge Trail 04-25-2019
1 label
Tyler Peak from Deer Ridge Trail 04-25-2019
Upon reaching "the benches", stopped briefly to get a shot at Gray Wolf Mountain, with evidence of avalanche deposition in its northern bowl.
Gray Wolf morning view from Deer Ridge trail 04-25-2019
1 label
Gray Wolf morning view from Deer Ridge trail 04-25-2019
Continuing ever upward, emerged from the forest for open views of mountains to the south and west from about the 5300 foot level of the Deer Ridge Trail. There was practically no snow over the trail up to this point.
Continued up and by around the 5400 feet elevation, there were some small patches of snow over the trail, including the usual patch of snow across the gully at about 5400 feet.
From this gully it is about 1/2 mile west to the Deer Park campground, and there were a number of snow patches several hundred feet wide to cross in order to reach the campground. Those who are not comfortable navigating and traversing snow might want to wait a couple weeks for the snow to melt off entirely. We brought microspikes but did not need to use them, as the diffuse morning sun had loosened the snow for decent traction, but not so much that we were postholing. Most of the Deer Park campground was still under snow as much as three or four feet deep, though there was thinner coverage in areas, as well as several flat, bare areas suitable for camping. We sat on top of one of the picnic tables with a view to the west for an early lunch. Note that the Park Service has left the outhouse door unlocked for hikers to use before the road opens. The outhouse's hand sanitizer has sanitizing gel and is operable, and the large-roll toilet paper dispensers are both stocked with TP.
Deer Park campground looking west 04-25-2019
3 labels
Deer Park campground looking west 04-25-2019
Deer Park camp sites 2 and 5 04-25-19
2 labels
Deer Park camp sites 2 and 5 04-25-19
Grand Ridge from Deer Park 04-25-2019
2 labels
Grand Ridge from Deer Park 04-25-2019
Lillian Ridge and Moose Mountain from Deer Park 04-25-2019
1 label
Lillian Ridge and Moose Mountain from Deer Park 04-25-2019
The Needles from Deer Park 04-25-2019
1 label
The Needles from Deer Park 04-25-2019
On our way out, we met a solo hiker, a solo trail runner and a group of three hikers on their way toward Deer Park. On the way out, stopped to admire the view of The Needles and to get another look at Gray Wolf Mountain, where there appeared to be a bit more snow deposition in the north bowl than in the morning.
The Needles from Deer Ridge Trail 04-25-2019
2 labels
The Needles from Deer Ridge Trail 04-25-2019
Gray Wolf afternoon view 04-25-2019
1 label
Gray Wolf afternoon view 04-25-2019
Not too suprising. It was actually pretty warm even though we were a mile high on Deer Ridge. From the 04-26-2019 weather forecast, it appears that snow levels may drop to 2000 feet overnight, so snow conditions on the Deer Ridge trail my soon become more challenging than they were on our trip to Deer Park.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Double_E

Double_E
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 11:24 am 
Way cool, thanks for the report. Definitely a hidden gem of the NE Olys. First time I went to Deer Park was via the Deer Ridge trail, a few years ago, early or mid-May IIRC. Camped a night at DP (about half of the campsites were snow free) then the next day, hiked down to Three Forks then camped at Camp Tony on the Gray Wolf River, then the next day hiked back to the DR trailhead. I think I only saw about five people the whole time.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 4:29 pm 
Thanks so much for the detailed report, I was thinking of doing this trip next weekend. Were any of the snow crossings steep? Ice axe needed?

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 8:04 pm 
Foist wrote:
Were any of the snow crossings steep? Ice axe needed?
The photo in the TR that shows residual snow across the trail in the gully at ~ 5400 feet elevation depicts the steepest snow crossing on the Deer Ridge trail as of 04-25-2019. It was perhaps a 5 or 6 foot drop from the surface of the snow down to the trail tread, with boot steps already kicked into the snow. It was not icy when we did it. The other snow patches to be crossed heading toward the campground are fairly flat.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 8:06 pm 
Thanks, that sounds like what I remember from doing that trip in May a couple years ago. Just making sure. That patch was no big deal.

backseatbetty666

backseatbetty666
PostMon Apr 29, 2019 8:25 pm 
hey ancient ambler...i was the solo hiker you guys ran into! it was nice to unknowingly meet you- i had emailed you YEARS ago about some trail info...i have always appreciated your TRs and all the mountain labels on your pictures as they have been very helpful smile.gif the summit was snow free!

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 5:28 pm 
Thanks very much, backseatbetty666. It was a pleasure to meet and chat with you up on Deer Ridge.