Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lena Lake 4/27/2019
Previous :: Next Topic  
Hesman

Hesman

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 8:51 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Wanting to get out for a hike that wasn’t all that hard since I was a little out of shape from not getting all that much exercise this last winter, I thought I’d head to Lena Lake for the day.

Got an early start before the crowds, and it was a little after 8 in the morning when I started hiking. On the way to the lake, I saw plenty of trilliums, early yellow violet, bleeding heart, Oregon grape and calypso orchids in bloom. When I was almost to the lake I was buzzed by a Rufous Hummingbird. There are a few trees across the trail, but they are all easy to get over or under.

Upon reaching the lake I stopped for rest at the big rock overlooking the lake. I was recruited by a group of hikers to take their picture. Once they left I took a few pictures before heading towards the north end of the lake and the Valley of Silent Men. Where the bridge that was damaged a few years ago, that no longer exits, I found a rock and log “bridge” that people have made. I crossed and found a spot next the lake to eat lunch. Before I started hiking out, I hiked a little ways up the trail that goes to The Brothers to see if there was water in the creek for any picture taking. Sadly, the creek was dry. I noticed that the water level in Lena Lake was a few feet lower than it usually is for this time of the year.

On my hike out I saw the most unprepared group of hikers I have ever seen. They were carrying all their clothing, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, food and a lot more in bags that were tucked under arms or from bags dangling from straps they had around their necks and over their shoulders. They also had very small school backpacks bulging with stuff and not a single hiking style backpack in sight. My poor brain had a meltdown when I saw them all and was trying to comprehend what I was seeing. It seemed to me it was a group of foreign exchange students that were taken on a hike at the last minute.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RichP

RichP

PostWed May 01, 2019 6:45 am 
Lovely.  up.gif

--------------
Without obsession, life is nothing. John Waters
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
timberghost

timberghost

PostFri May 10, 2019 11:55 am 
Nice Video
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lena Lake 4/27/2019
  Happy Birthday mntsun, Anne Elk!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: