Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead security detail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 01, 2019 12:16 pm 
This thread is crazy. Vigilante? There is zero percent "vigilante" in being a chaperone for cars. The speculation about violence is also crazy nonsense. Made up fantasy. Nothing makes me triggered more than do nothings attacking the charitable efforts of others. Read the second post in this thread. The thieves will just go elsewhere? No kidding, that's the whole point. He is not trying to end all crime, just let people hike in one place for one day with less worry about theft. And if the guy didn't tell anyone about his plan, how could they know about it? This is why we can't have nice things, because mean spirited attackers will crap all over everything and anything. If trailheads terrify someone, then please stay home with the doors locked and shades pulled down. That way your nonsense won't deter people from trying out an idea. If I saw someone waiting at a trailhead, I would figure they were the first of a group to arrive, or the first of a group to have finished. But if someone wants to "think" they are criminals allowing witnesses to accumulate then good for them. Crazy.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed May 01, 2019 11:23 pm 
If his goal is to deter criminals rather than enact some vigilante/catch-them-in-the-act action then broadcasting his appearance and schedule is perfect. If he brings a chair and sits outside with a cooler and talks to people then I doubt anyone will be scared that he's a criminal just hanging around waiting for a chance. Especially if he lets people know who he is and what he's doing. And, if someone with criminal intentions shows up and finds him hanging around, it's extremely unlikely they'll assault him just for being there. It's far more likely they'll just leave. This sounds like a great idea if it does nothing more than give some people some peace of mind. For it to be truly effective on any kind of scale it will have to be done by many more people in many more places, and of course unless we get to the point where every trailhead is manned 24/7 there's no way it will deter all trailhead crime, but at least someone is willing to give up some of their own time to do *something.*

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu May 02, 2019 1:28 am 
We need a similar sign up for 4 hour shifts at our local QFC. The poor security guard looks so bored there.

Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon
PostThu May 02, 2019 3:01 pm 
I hate trail head prowlers. I ensure no valuables are in my car, and usually leave the doors unlocked to deter break ins. Since the trailhead is remote, I have no faith in a locked car or an alarm deterring someone from performing a smash and grab. I came to this revelation after having my secured vehicles windows shot out at a trail head allowing the thieves access to my empty car.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 02, 2019 4:33 pm 
xman_reborn wrote:
Not sure why the volunteer is making a big announcement about the location; surely this will direct the criminals to another trailhead, no? The interwebs are not as big as they seem.
Right now, a bunch of hikers are talking about this idea. A group of people that passionately feel trailhead break-ins are a problem. I wouldn't be surprised if a few other hikers feel inspired to go patrol trailheads they have some connection with. If it becomes known that this is a thing that happens - pissed off hikers at the trailhead - that's going to put a damper on things. Everybody on both sides of this issue know the chances of police being there are very small, the police say as much, they don't have the resources. Also here's probably wanting anyone hiking that trail to know why he's lingering in the parking lot.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu May 02, 2019 6:38 pm 
Flash Gordon wrote:
I ensure no valuables are in my car, and usually leave the doors unlocked to deter break ins.
This is the only sensible thing to do. If no one ever left anything worth stealing in their cars then thieves would find other things to do. Unfortunately, vandalism is still a thing. It wasn't that long ago someone's car was burned at an Olympics trailhead. I've seen reports of vandals breaking out windows for no apparent reason. And, it was pretty recently that a guy had his wheels stolen. It's a shame that this is what we have to deal with, but it is what it is. At least until enough people take action, but I don't know if this kind of thing can ever be fully stopped.

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostThu May 02, 2019 9:16 pm 
One of these days I'm going to do the same type of thing at the Dickerman Mt. trailhead. I'm going to set a sign out that says something like "No trailhead break-ins today!" and "Smile, you're on candid camera!" I'll set up my shelter/screen room next to my car (being careful not to take up another parking spot), set out my dog's mattress to give her a place to relax, and set out a cooler full of ice cold water bottles for hikers to take. During the day I'll pick up all of the litter in the parking area, let people pet my dog, listen to a lot of Jimmy Buffett, read a book or two, and enjoy the day relaxing in my lounge chair. It'll be fun chatting with the many hikers throughout the day. I hope one of my kids or a buddy or two will join in. We'll enjoy some great BBQ and maybe an adult beverage or two. It'll be a blast.

canadug

canadug
PostThu May 02, 2019 9:53 pm 
Up at Skaha climbing area in BC near Penticton there are two volunteers that monitor the parking lot and have an info booth set up. It has been there for a couple of seasons now and break-ins are now non-existent. BC could do with many more of these set-ups as could many spots in WA state. Kudos to anyone who steps up.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 02, 2019 10:29 pm 
Pysht wrote:
I'll set up my shelter/screen room next to my car (being careful not to take up another parking spot), set out my dog's mattress to give her a place to relax, and set out a cooler full of ice cold water bottles for hikers to take. During the day I'll pick up all of the litter in the parking area, let people pet my dog, listen to a lot of Jimmy Buffett, read a book or two, and enjoy the day relaxing in my lounge chair. It'll be fun chatting with the many hikers throughout the day. I hope one of my kids or a buddy or two will join in. We'll enjoy some great BBQ and maybe an adult beverage or two. It'll be a blast.
You'll be a trail angel, just a slightly different sort.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu May 02, 2019 11:26 pm 
It all sounds good, though I think some of the more "spectacular" TH thefts/vandalism have happened at night (like the one where all the wheels were stolen), or at more remote THs. Maybe that's where trailcams could really come in handy, at known night time problem spots. Check out the photo from a night time license plate cam on this site .

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri May 03, 2019 5:45 am 
I put trail cams out to catch garbage dumpers and wood thieves all the time why not trailheads

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri May 03, 2019 7:32 am 
Flash Gordon wrote:
I ensure no valuables are in my car, and usually leave the doors unlocked to deter break ins.
When you file the police report on the vandalism, your insurance company will ask you if the doors were locked. I'm not sure what happens if you say the doors were unlocked, but they might not pay. rolleyes.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
altasnob

altasnob
PostFri May 03, 2019 7:54 am 
Sculpin wrote:
When you file the police report on the vandalism, your insurance company will ask you if the doors were locked. I'm not sure what happens if you say the doors were unlocked, but they might not pay.
Look at your insurance policy but my guess is that it does not say they will not pay just because you left your door unlocked. If an insurance company fails to follow the policy then you can sue and get triple damages and attorney fees.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 03, 2019 8:55 am 
canadug wrote:
Up at Skaha climbing area in BC near Penticton there are two volunteers that monitor the parking lot and have an info booth set up. It has been there for a couple of seasons now and break-ins are now non-existent. BC could do with many more of these set-ups as could many spots in WA state. Kudos to anyone who steps up.
But who among us would volunteer on a regular basis to make such a program work? I did it a couple of times, not to deter crime, but to provide information about the trail, and other trails in the area. But that means being at a trail head for a few hours - not hiking. Buggy, hot. Or rainy. One was at the current Blanca Lake trail head on the closed road. Scrappy trees, no views... I did VERY MUCH enjoy talking to people though; some were downright fun, others interested in getting more information, some were new to hiking or to the area; but there's only so much humanity I can enjoy during summer. I have done it, and even though I enjoy volunteering for the USFS, trail head stweardship is not something I'd do on a regular basis.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri May 03, 2019 9:02 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
I did it a couple of times, not to deter crime, but to provide information about the trail, and other trails in the area.
Did you do this once at the trail head (off I-90 in Snoqualmie Pass) that leads to Kendall Katwalk and the PCT? Years ago there were some folks who seemed to be doing this one day. I don't know if it was a regular occurrence or not. There had been some problems at the Alpental/Snow Lake TH prior that season. ~z