Tom

Admin
PostFri May 17, 2019 3:58 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Maybe it's time for a refresher on forum rules:

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7976546

Please review including restrictions on signatures:

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8114
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Sculpin

Sculpin

PostFri May 17, 2019 8:12 am 
I see that Vertec showed up during the Sam Sayers/Vesper Peak debacle, has never posted a TR, and pretty much always skirts the edge of forum rules with critical, cynical, or inflammatory posts.

--------------
Even my best friends, they don't know, that my job is turning lead into gold. When you hear that engine drone, I'm on the road again, and I'm searching for the philosopher's stone - Van Morrison
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostFri May 17, 2019 8:35 am 
Sculpin wrote:
I see that Vertec showed up during the Sam Sayers/Vesper Peak debacle, has never posted a TR, and pretty much always skirts the edge of forum rules with critical, cynical, or inflammatory posts.

To be fair, Vertec actually made the trip to the post-search campsite on Vesper and posted his TR to the Vesper search discussion. Yeah, I think a few people probably found this site and signed up around that time wink.gif  I think as a condition of joining the NWH club of critical inflammatory cynics it is required that you make at least five posts to the global warming thread, Vertec has not met this requirement yet.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Vertec

Vertec

PostSun May 19, 2019 9:38 pm 
Sculpin wrote:

To Clarify, I posted (before and after) photos I took in the "Vesper Peak Stewardship" topic.  My post clearly shows the damage at the "Camp" near Vesper lake (Elan) that occurred during September - October of 2018.  For me, hiking season winds down after October until May... So I've been a member for less than three months of hiking season, yet have posted stewardship contributions to this forum that do not exist anywhere else on the internet.  I'll let my contribution speak for itself.

I have a strong interest in photography, so getting a shot of a helicopter hovering over Vesper Lake with a frosty Vesper peak in the background seemed like neat thing to "go for" - and I wasn't going to be intimidated by *anyone* in my effort to take that photo.  Yes, I value my rights, stridently.  If that "inflames" a snowflake, that's the snowflake's problem.

I value Stewardship over TRs.  I have little need for TRs unless they contribute valuable information.  I have no interest in creating "Monuments to myself" by just bragging about how I hiked somewhere.  I also see no need to post the 10th TR that informs others to be aware of "Snow on the Trail" in early May.

And frankly, TRs from SoCal/Chico or "lower latitudes" have no place cluttering the main TR section of a NW hiking forum.  Criticism about TR volume by someone who has made only two NW relevant TRs in four years is just plain "dim".

I've had some brief yet polite and effective discussion with the site admin regarding policy, including a suggestion I offered.  Kudos to them for their efforts in running this site.

You are correct in stating I joined NWHikers during "The Incident" you mention.  If we think about it, we cannot deny "The Incident" has changed hiking in the NW, at least to some extent, forever.  Face it, whether it be crime, cougars, or faux commandos, change is constant.  I chose to bring my contribution here because this is the best forum to do so.

--------------
Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostSun May 19, 2019 11:58 pm 
My litmus test for evaluating a member's contribution is review the last few of pages of their posting history.  Do they participate in a diverse range of topics or do they gravitate to the drama?  Are they generally helpful and encouraging or is there a negative vibe to their posts?  Have they recently posted or thanked someone for a TR?  If you review Sculpin's posting history you'll see mostly value added.  OK, so he called you out.  Could have been a more constructive  I'd chalk that up to some forum ying and yang.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostMon May 20, 2019 12:19 pm 
Vertec wrote:
TRs from SoCal/Chico or "lower latitudes" have no place cluttering the main TR section of a NW hiking forum.  Criticism about TR volume by someone who has made only two NW relevant TRs in four years is just plain "dim".

Once a NW Hiker, always a NW Hiker

The site is NW Hikers after all, not NW Hikes wink.gif

Just my 2 cents, BC and John Morrow's regular updates are great imo
Brushwork
Know your complex

Brushwork

Know your complex
PostMon May 20, 2019 12:46 pm 
Vertec wrote:
And frankly, TRs from SoCal/Chico or "lower latitudes" have no place cluttering the main TR section of a NW hiking forum.  Criticism about TR volume by someone who has made only two NW relevant TRs in four years is just plain "dim".

I don’t agree.  I actually appreciate and enjoy reading about trips from other areas.( generally)

If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen.   And look at your own judgements.

--------------
When I grow up I wanna play.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostMon May 20, 2019 2:15 pm 
Looks like the WTA trip reporter did indeed make it back to the trail head; a recent report mentions he was there, watching cars.

Then of course another report with really nice photos includes the annoying comment, “what kind of camera do you have?” as if the camera does all the work. (sorry, can’t help but to complain about that; it annoys the bejeezus out of me)

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
Gabep

Gabep

PostMon May 20, 2019 3:08 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Then of course another report with really nice photos includes the annoying comment, “what kind of camera do you have?” as if the camera does all the work. (sorry, can’t help but to complain about that; it annoys the bejeezus out of me)

Thank you Kim. I agree that question bothers me too I thought about not replying at all but figured a generic answer might get the point across.

I actually decided to go that day to meet Mato but found out I am bad a reading and dates and got there the day before. Free beer made up for it though.
rubywrangler

rubywrangler

PostMon May 20, 2019 4:49 pm 
Wow - thanks for pointing out those photos, Kim. Beautiful Gabe! I love the top one.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostMon May 20, 2019 5:07 pm 
Here are the lovely photos that wowed! me.

Thanks Gabe, they're awesome.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
Gabep

Gabep

PostMon May 20, 2019 8:06 pm 
Thank you two! I have enjoyed many many pictures over the years from both of your trip reports!
Vertec

Vertec

PostWed May 22, 2019 11:24 am 
Brushwork wrote:
Vertec wrote:

I don’t agree.  I actually appreciate and enjoy reading about trips from other areas.( generally)

If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen.   And look at your own judgements.

Maybe a separate place for non-NW TRs?

I've mainly expressed caution in believing statements that claim some "Option A" is proven to be better than "Option B", when no proof exists.  My expressions are not judgments, but supporting others in making their own judgements.  "Whatever works for you" is my mantra  smile.gif  Regardless of the subject.

Your heat/kitchen statement is puzzling.  I'm here doing fine.  Maybe you are singling some overriding consensus of certain 'Options" (over others) are dominant on this forum, and will cause me to take heat for expressing caution?  Of so.. Ok.  I've noticed that already and am adjusting my noise filter accordingly  dizzy.gif

--------------
Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead security detail
Jump to:   
Search this topic: