Forum Index > Gear Talk > Nylon belt anti-slip solution
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 4:06 pm 
I'm really tired of nylon belts (either on pants or packs) that slip! I could swear that once upon a time, REI sold some kind of stuff you could paint on your belts to keep them from slipping, but now that I need it, I can't find anything. Is it just wishful thinking on my part, or does something like this really exist?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 4:39 pm 
Why screw around with half assed methods of keeping your pants up? https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-regular-side-clip-suspenders-92992.html?dwvar_92992_color=BLK#q=suspenders&lang=default&start=1 I find these work great for my cool, cold and rainy weather pants. In summer with shorts it's less of an issue. If you stick with a belt, old skool leather belts with holes don't slip. I'm currently wearing a Patagonia nylon belt with a friction buckle. It works better now that there are four more inches sticking out than last year.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jun 14, 2019 11:47 am 
Depending on the buckle style you might be able to double it back, like on a climbing harness. That has worked for me for some pants belts in the past. For pack waist belts it is usually because the webbing is too thin, so not enough friction. You can buy a Figure 8 slider and put it on the side of the buckle that adjusts. If both sides adjust then you'll need 2 Figure 8 sliders. you used the figure 8 slider to feed the tail/tag end of the webbing through. This method is a bit of a hassle to adjust but once adjusted they stay... You configure the sliders like the ones shown on this sternum strap: https://www.amazon.com/BuckleGear-SS-Sternum-Strap-Black/dp/B007HAOTFS

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Dante

Dante
PostFri Jun 14, 2019 12:25 pm 
I made a low profile belt out of some 1 inch polyester webbing from Strapeorks.com and an ITW G Hook. Just fold and sew one end of the webbing to make a loop for the hook portion of the G Hook to go through. It's comfortable under a backpack hip belt, you don't lose your adjustment when you take it off (just unhook the G Hook from the loop), and it doesn't slip.
P.S. Shoe Goo or another polyurethane goop might help with slipping, too.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jun 14, 2019 2:09 pm 
Hahaha -- no, I don't think suspenders are a viable option for me! (Hard to imagine holding my backpack up or my shorts when doing squats in the gym using suspenders...) But the Figure 8 slider or G hook options sound promising. Plus I already have a bunch of nylon strapping of different thicknesses. Thanks!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jun 14, 2019 4:53 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Why screw around with half assed methods of keeping your pants up? https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-regular-side-clip-suspenders-92992.html?dwvar_92992_color=BLK#q=suspenders&lang=default&start=1 I find these work great for my cool, cold and rainy weather pants. In summer with shorts it's less of an issue. If you stick with a belt, old skool leather belts with holes don't slip. I'm currently wearing a Patagonia nylon belt with a friction buckle. It works better now that there are four more inches sticking out than last year.
Oh come on. If you don't want to half ass it, go all the way in with bibs, or even a onesie! Like Andre the Giant.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jun 14, 2019 10:49 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
(Hard to imagine holding my backpack up or my shorts when doing squats in the gym using suspenders...)
The Duluth Trading Company Side Clip suspenders have worked effectively for me holding up my ski pants while doing jump turns and telemark turns and wearing a pack. I was unaware of gym shorts with belt loops, they tend to come with drawstrings. :/