Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > This Is The Salmon Cannon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 6:30 am 
I was envisioning salmon with crash helmets on being shot through the air. Nope. Not even close. There was a blurb on NPR about this. And, a wish has been made true. I was hoping to see a way for salmon to get above Grand Coulee dam in my lifetime. The local tribe had a ceremony for the first fish that made it over. It's a start. Salmon have now made it over Chief Joe dam. Salmon Cannon Explained I was under the impression, but am not sure, if they've used it over Grand Coulee yet.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 am 
Not yet, but soon. The tribe is planting salmon above the dams. Tribal Tribune

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 1:52 pm 
Interesting. No comment on required operational staff. I suppose that would go with level of reliability required. They’re digital to start with so monitoring a series of off normal conditions to transmit a signal would probably seem normal to them. The traditional hatchery operators around the NW have been slow to electrically monitor water flow, valve position etc, and have lost millions of fish over the decades for conditions someone could have walked out and corrected. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!