Forum Index > Trail Talk > ONP Wilderness Permits outside Port Angeles
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
truzam

truzam
PostFri May 10, 2019 7:25 pm 
What's the best way to get a wilderness permit without driving to PA? The Hoodsport WIC is closed for the season so that won't work. The Quilcene Ranger Station is not that far out of my way, but it seems like they might not issue permits. I read about self-registration permits, but I don't know where they are issued. Would Slab Camp TH or Gray Wolf TH have them? I'm driving from Seattle. What happens if I get caught without a permit? What if I just make the permit reservation online and use that without picking up a permit? I imagine I'm not alone in my questions, but I haven't found any information online.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostFri May 10, 2019 8:34 pm 
The below quote is from the park service website
Quote:
If you are not passing by a park wilderness office on your way to the trailhead or you plan to arrive early or late, call the WIC to find out the best way to get your permit.
https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/wilderness-permits.htm When I was at Staircase recently I believe they had some self issue permits in the box on the porch of the ranger station. When I was at the Dosewallips recently there were no permits in the box that is just on the other side of the main washout so it seems it is not something you can count on. Did't see any at Slab Camp last week either. Kiliki posted this in another thread recently. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1150884#1150884
kiliki wrote:
In terms of picking up permits in person, I've been successful emailing and asking very nicely if they could send me my permit via email, which I then printed out. I've usually indicated why – – for example that going to the WIC is quite a bit out of the way. And they very kindly have.
Guess you could give that a try.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message