Forum Index > Trail Talk > How's this ONP itinerary look? 5 days, with kids, never been to WA before.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altersego

altersego
PostSat May 11, 2019 2:25 pm 
If you wind up at Cape Flattery, I highly recommend taking an extra hour or two and going to the Makah Museum. It was fascinating and very well constructed as an exhibit.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
potnia_theron

potnia_theron
PostSun May 12, 2019 8:07 am 
Anne, thanks a lot for the suggestions! I've been thinking of trying to add in some of them, deception pass looks really neat. The only problem is that it requires a bit of reworking, as changing accommodations around the memorial day weekend is tough right now. My own fault for doing this so last minute, but it is what it is!

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun May 12, 2019 9:18 pm 
S'awright! biggrin.gif I thought it might be good for you to have "something completely different" in your back pocket in case the two laners on the peninsula wear you out, or slow you down more than expected. For future reference, if you're as far north as Deception Pass but don't have time to get up to Mt. Baker, a great drive is to wander north on the rural roads and get on Chuckanut Drive (NW Skagit/Whatcom Counties), a lovely winding road along the water that takes you thru Larrabee St Park (a few day hikes there) and ends in the village of Fairhaven, a great place to spend a day (good bookstores, food, etc). From there you could wander into downtown Bellingham (more good food and bookstores, The Whatcom Museum and the Spark Museum of Electrical Invention. On weekends, the Spark has demos of their giant Tesla coil. Very cool. It sounds like you're really interested in geology. You should check out some of the TRs and other posts by NWH member Brushbuffalo, who's a geology professor (emeritus).

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon May 13, 2019 5:35 pm 
Do the wild beaches. How old are your kids? Have they ever been to a wild coast? In 2nd grade, I read "The Burgess Seashore Book for Children", while living as far from salt water as one can be on this planet. Over 20 years later, finding myself at a wild beach for the first time (Cape Alava) with a biology degree, I thought I was in Heaven + 20%. Come back someday and do Shi-Shi, any season (I've been there Thanksgiving and New Years'). Catch a minus tide.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.