Forum Index > Trail Talk > Low water levels at Ross Lake force closure of boat-in campsites
Previous :: Next Topic  
Slim
This space for rent

Slim

This space for rent
PostSun May 12, 2019 6:09 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Looks like it's going to be a low water year ...

Quote:
From: "NOCA_Backcountry_reservations, NPS" <noca_backcountry_reservations@nps.gov>
Date: May 12, 2019 at 9:01:41 AM PDT
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Ross Lake Camp Closures

Dear Ross Lake Boat-In site reservation holder,

Lake levels on Ross Lake reservoir are predicted to be significantly lower than normal during the summer months of 2019. Levels are expected to be 15-25 feet below the full pool of 1602.5 feet. The unanticipated low reservoir level is due to lack of rainfall, a decline in snow pack, and the protection of chum salmon redds resulting in a drawdown by Seattle City Light.

Effective immediately, the following areas in Ross Lake National Recreation Area are closed:
—all campsites accessed by boat on Ross Lake are closed to overnight use;
—the exposed lakebed to the full pool line unless in designated areas; and
—the boat ramps at Hozomeen

These temporary closures are in effect for public health, safety, and resource protection. The low lake levels impact the park’s ability to pump out the vault toilets, the exposed lakebed provides difficult terrain and hazards from unstable trees, and visitor use within the exposed lakebed could impact park resources.

Lake levels and on-going management assessments will determine when campsites and boat ramps will reopen. If campsites are opened, they will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Check the Ross Lake section of the park website for current conditions and updates. https://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisit/boating-on-ross-lake.htm

--------------
"Our flapjacks sell like hotcakes"
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Slugman
Slower than ever

Slugman

Slower than ever
PostSun May 12, 2019 9:03 pm 
I was just now planning my trip there. I was hoping to start June 15th. Bummer.

--------------
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore. There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but nature more..."  Childe Harold
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostSun May 12, 2019 10:14 pm 
They told me a couple weeks ago when I reserved a fast boat that the water level would be lower than I've ever seen it.

Mystery Island has good swimming when it's exposed.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Stefan

Stefan

PostMon May 13, 2019 9:37 am 
Even when you do your own kayaking these campgrounds are closed?  Seriously?  That does not make sense.

--------------
Art is an adventure.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostMon May 13, 2019 9:42 am 
The docks at these campgrounds probably aren't touching water.  Normally you'd paddle a kayak up to the dock and get out.  I'm pretty sure (from looking foam at Ross last weekend, and from experience) the docks are high and dry.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
thunderhead

thunderhead

PostMon May 13, 2019 10:05 am 
Since when do you need a dock for a kayak?
iron
getting old

iron

getting old
PostMon May 13, 2019 10:16 am 
thunderhead wrote:

millennial era?

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostMon May 13, 2019 10:23 am 
The pain with low water in Ross Lake is not the lack of docks. When the water is very low it is a long distance through mud and waterlogged logs between campsites and the water. The lake shores are mostly steep with few beaches. This is combined with a constant threat of a thunderstorm coming in making for a rapid rise of water. This makes it unwise to leave your boat close to the shore. In addition the shore is ugly as sin during extreme low water.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
thunderhead

thunderhead

PostMon May 13, 2019 10:26 am 
Ya, the water walk is annoying but that doesn't strike me as something that should close a campsite.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostMon May 13, 2019 10:46 am 
iron wrote:
thunderhead wrote:

millennial era?

Did you guys read the post that started this thread?  People aren't allowed on the exposed lake bed.  Nothing millennial about following the rules.
iron
getting old

iron

getting old
PostMon May 13, 2019 10:49 am 
R-E-L-A-X

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
thunderhead

thunderhead

PostMon May 13, 2019 11:09 am 
Quote:
People aren't allowed on the exposed lake bed

Why?  Sand and mud is hazardous?  Ecologically sensitive?
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest

PostMon May 13, 2019 11:39 am 
thunderhead wrote:
Why?

From the linked article...
These temporary closures are in effect for public health, safety, and resource protection. The low lake levels impact the park’s ability to pump out the vault toilets, the exposed lakebed provides difficult terrain and hazards from unstable trees, and visitor use within the exposed lakebed could impact park resources
Stefan

Stefan

PostMon May 13, 2019 12:03 pm 
So,

Big Beaver Campground is closed....even though you can walk to it....because it is accessed by boat.  That would make Little Beaver Campground closed too.  As well as Devils Junction, and Rainbow Point closed too.

Based on the exact wording of this:
Effective immediately, the following areas in Ross Lake National Recreation Area are closed:
—all campsites accessed by boat on Ross Lake are closed to overnight use

Something is amiss in the wording...

--------------
Art is an adventure.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostMon May 13, 2019 12:03 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Why?  Sand and mud is hazardous?  Ecologically sensitive?

I don't make the rules, I just spend more time at Ross Lake than the average bear, and I'm trying to share what I know.  The email in the OP gives a few reasons.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Low water levels at Ross Lake force closure of boat-in campsites
  Happy Birthday kayakbear, DanG, The Angry Hiker, hitda peakz!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: