Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Outdoor furniture finish
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
uww

uww
PostFri May 10, 2019 3:38 pm 
I have some furniture made of pressure treated pine boards that I'd like to stain and finish and make last outside more than 2 weeks. What is my best course of action here? I was thinking of staining with whatever looks best on a test patch then using a clear marine varnish. Any recommendations or advice from those that have been there? I'd also like to do the application outside to minimize fumes in the house.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 10, 2019 4:32 pm 
If its already pressure treated you don't need to do anything right away. Varnish is a pain in the butt maintenance wise, you've got to recoat frequently and if you leave it too long, you have to strip and sand. Thompson's water seal applied annually will keep rot at bay. Sand a bit before applying to maintain a smooth surface. Let dry a week before 1st BBQ.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri May 10, 2019 5:14 pm 
SeaFin Teak Oil. It's not just for boats. Great low maintenance product. Available lotsa places.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostFri May 10, 2019 11:31 pm 
Thompson's is far from the best available. I've had great (though limited) results with Sun Frog sealer, and know people like SeaFin a lot.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed May 15, 2019 1:27 pm 
I have an Cedar Adirondack Chair that was very weathered. I disassembled the entire thing, sanded every board, and used two coats of Thompson’s Clear seal on each piece before reassembly. It has held up really well. I have a cedar deck that I recoat every two years. I use Cabot’s semi-transparent on that. It could go longer, but I prefer the appearance of every other year. I pressure wash it one week, and coat the next. I used Spar Varnish on a brand new Solid Oak door at my old house, really good stuff. All the cheap stuff sold as spar varnish now (Low VOC) is not close to real spar varnish formula. Certainly any big box store stuff isn’t. If you go with spar vanish buy Epifanes at West Marine. It not cheap, but it’s the real stuff. Double Coats, should last for years.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed May 15, 2019 5:36 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
SeaFin Teak Oil. It's not just for boats. Great low maintenance product. Available lotsa places.
This is what I like to use. It's manufactured locally too by Dalys/Farwest.