Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Jun 23, 2019 1:47 am 
Eric Hansen wrote:
I'm assuming the Beartooth Hwy is open
It did just open like a couple weeks ago

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Jun 24, 2019 6:58 pm 
Sounds like that last storm re closed it Thursday night, reopened Sunday. "In addition to dropping significant snow on Steamboat, the storm also dropped enough snow on Beartooth Pass between Wyoming and Montana to close the highway from Thursday evening until Sunday afternoon. The Pass is now open to traffic." https://www.tetongravity.com/story/news/summer-solstice-storm-drops-two-feet-on-steamboat-closes-beartooth-pass

Off trail rambler
uww

uww
PostMon Jun 24, 2019 10:09 pm 
Thanks again all. We decided to cancel the Cloud Peak attempt- someone who drove by told me there was continuous snow the entire upper route. Coming down on snow over boulders with no options sounds like it could get unpleasant. We are going to go to the Yellowstone River backpacking for a couple days than one day of driving and sightseeing on the way back out of the park. Planning on possibly heading to the Canyon area of the park and definitely out through Lamar Valley and Beartooth Pass. If there's a quick dayhike or two to recommend anywhere along the way that would be great- was thinking a quick alpine view in Beartooths would be a nice change of pace from the valley trip.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Jun 25, 2019 8:05 pm 
I wouldn't pass up Clay Butte, a lookout a mile or two off the Beartooth Hwy. It's a few miles west of Beartooth Lake. Panorama views. 9800'. There's a meadowy ridge gently ascending north that makes for a good short walk, and fabulous sleeping spots at the flattish top of the ridge. Not sure of the melt sequence there but that slope I'm describing ascending is a south slope and I've seen it with spectacular flowers. If you're bringing the boards. Beartooth Pass summer ski area is open through July 7. https://beartoothbasin.com

Off trail rambler
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostTue Jun 25, 2019 8:07 pm 
uww wrote:
If there's a quick dayhike or two to recommend anywhere along the way that would be great- was thinking a quick alpine view in Beartooths would be a nice change of pace from the valley trip.
From the Beartooth Pass highway, you can park in any of a handful of places and roam around the high plateau if it isn't still completely covered. The terrain drops off very steeply from the edges of the plateau down into the glacier carved valleys. Enjoy it up there it's certainly IMO the most scenic paved road in the lower 48 states. I used to live in Red Lodge and went up there many times it never gets old! If you only have a few hours for a short walk and you have a vehicle with decent clearance, drive to the end of the Main Fork Rock Creek road (pretty long dirt road) to a parking area right on the MT/WY border and hike the nice trail to Glacier Lake. Coming up from Red Lodge, just before the road begins to ascend steeply up the hill towards the pass and leaves the valley, veer right onto the Main Fork road. It's beautiful up there! While in Red Lodge, get your food at Mas Taco...easily the best place to eat in town. The owner was once the head chef of a 5 star hotel in LA, but decided he couldn't take the big city anymore. Amazing place with great service and food. Also while in Red Lodge, just enjoy everything there man I love that place! If you have some time on Cook City, take the road north towards Lulu pass and explore around as well.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com