Forum Index > Trip Reports > Obstruction Point - Moose Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stumblefoot
Stumblefoot

Stumblefoot
Stumblefoot
PostTue May 28, 2019 8:25 pm 
I couldn't take it anymore, the weather has been too nice recently and the mountains have been calling to me. I knew there was still a lot of snow up in the Olys, but I got a couple of surprise days off before the long weekend, and I decided it was Moose Lake or bust, snow be damned. So I grabbed my pack and my snowshoes and headed up Hurricane ridge early Thursday morning. The Obstruction Point road, though plowed out all the way to the end, is still closed to vehicle traffic, but I wasn't about to let a little thing like an 8 mile road walk stand in my way.
After a 7:00 start, I was out to Obstruction Point a little after 11, stopped for lunch and a bit of a rest before slipping on my snowshoes and heading out Lillian Ridge. From this point the trail was about 90% snow covered the rest of the way to the lake, approximately 3 to 6 feet deep. Mostly it was fairly difficult, but there were a few spots that were a real bugger.
The first 1000 feet of elevation drop down the switchbacks off of Lillian Ridge in particular were a real treat. Not a big fan of steep side-hill snowshoeing. Finally ditched the snowshoes and just trudged my way down out of the snow to the lake.
Having not just Moose Lake, but the entire Grand Valley all to myself for the evening was pretty unique, almost eerily so. After a quick dip in the still partially snow-covered lake, I thawed out in the sun for a while, and woke up with the local deer making off with my sweat-soaked clothes. I'm glad I did have the whole valley to myself, so no one had to witness a middle aged, balding, overweight, slightly sunburned naked guy run around hurling rocks and obscenities at the pesky little critters.
Coming back up Lillian Ridge the next day, instead of trying to follow the snow covered switchbacks, I just shot straight up to the top of the ridge, stayed out of the snow almost all the way to the top. Oh, and crossing the snowfield at the top where the way-trail takes off towards Moose mountain was a bit sketchy. Other than that the trip back to the Hurricane Ridge parking lot was fairly eventful, except for a bit of a knee sprain that slowed me down the last couple miles. All in all it was a gorgeous hike, but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone just yet, unless you are comfortable with steep high country snow travel, with very little trail to follow. Another few weeks or a month and the trail should be much more navigable.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostTue May 28, 2019 9:31 pm 
What a treat to have GV all to yourself! up.gif up.gif

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue May 28, 2019 9:33 pm 
Stumblefoot wrote:
So pretty!

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed May 29, 2019 1:04 am 
A dip? Yipes.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed May 29, 2019 10:23 am 
OMG eek.gif "I'm glad I did have the whole valley to myself, so no one had to witness a middle aged, balding, overweight, slightly sunburned naked guy run around hurling rocks and obscenities at the pesky little critters." the only words worthy of your trip report is: I'm glad I did have the whole valley to myself YOU DID IT chickenleg.gif twirl.gif rockband.gif thank you for sharing your adventure!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss