Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rock Mt (Nason Ridge) from North approach
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Zloi

Zloi
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 2:05 pm 
Took the Smithbrook Rd (FS 67) to the north side of Nason Ridge, then FS 6705 to the Snowy Ck TH. In about a mile the trail runs into the little used beginning section of the Nason Ridge trail (#1583). From a small basin it ascends to a meadowy, larger basin, then switchbacks up a flank of Rock Mt to Nason Ridge. From there the summit is about a 10 min. hike. Debris remains from an old lookout--no summit register that I could see. Overall, the trail is in good shape, with straightforward minor creek crossings and no significant blowdown. Wildflowers are peak right now, and in 2-3 weeks there will be an abundance of huckleberries beyond the meadow. The trail does cross through some sections of heavy vegetation which needs to be trimmed back (it's getting hard to see the trail). However, perhaps the biggest drawback is the 3.5 mile approach road. There is a nearly continuous wall of shrubs hemming the road in narrowly on both sides. Unless you are on 2 wheels, your vehicle WILL absorb some scratches. The mosquitoes were out in force, and the slow-biting black flies which typically hatch in droves this time of year were starting to show up. According to my GPS, about 8.6 mi. RT, 3300' of gain. Took me 2 1/2 hrs up. Some pix here (if you click into the first photo you'll see captions)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 8:09 pm 
Nice! This looks like a better approach than the standard trail, because you avoid hwy 2 noise!

Zloi

Zloi
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 8:27 pm 
A little to my surprise, I ran into a couple other parties doing the same route. Also, judging from the sign-in sheet at the trailhead, seems this route is fairly popular. One of the other party members said he had climbed it before from the Rt 2 side and that he preferred this approach, albeit with a major gripe about the road condition.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 8:41 pm 
I have only hiked to Rock Mountain in snow season and hwy 2 was the only possible approach to me, because of that. But it is not pretty - the trailhead is rutted and small, it starts under power lines and the forest is dry, open and hot, you also hear hwy 2 noise a lot. But once near Rock lake it finally becomes pretty! There some giant cornices and avalanches from Rock Mountain too!

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 8:30 am 
It's officially called Snowy Creek. I did it ~15 years ago, very nice trail. I don't recall the road being an issue, too bad they've let it get so overgrown.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 8:50 am 
Foist wrote:
did it ~15 years ago, very nice trail. I don't recall the road being an issue, too bad they've let it get so overgrown.
Same with my trip. ...road was wide and easy. I camped on top under the constant watchful eye of a big billy goat, impatiently waiting for his shot of yellow nectar. However, on the drive back a large (3' diameter) tree had fallen completely across the road. Luckily it was so rotten that I could dismantle it enough to drive over/ through. Now I always carry sufficient tools to have a chance to extricate my vehicle.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still